Author Topic: Desert Eagle  (Read 7128 times)

hieveryone

• View Profile
Desert Eagle
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
I completed the Desert Eagle model; it took more time than it was worth and I simplified some elements, but it's done entirely in MeshMixer with individual pieces like the Peace Maker revolver I did last time.
Some things I noticed doing it:

I was right, smooth boundaries pin handles can't move anymore after any of them is cancelled (double click on existing pin handles);

booleans tend to ruin edges when there isn't enough detail, and don't work well with small elements leaving, more often than not, open areas that can be closed only with the stamp tool;

to clear the outline list from already deleted elements it's currently necessary to restart the application;

It could be nice to have a wider palette for the face group colors.

I'm sure there was something else, but I'm too tired now and I don't remember what that was.
I'll post it here should that come to mind.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: Desert Eagle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:10:07 AM »
well, I am very impressed...I would not have thought you could even get close to this with the current booleans.

I will have a look at your bugs/requests. (improving booleans is the hardest, but perhaps it is worth it...)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:10:42 AM »
Nice job!

to clear the outline list from already deleted elements it's currently necessary to restart the application;
Hope I understood right.
ThereĀ“s a trick to get rid of empty list entries without a restart:
Simply Combine the empty with another one
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:08:18 AM »
Thanks MagWeb.
You got it right, and you're right.
In case you have to delete multiple elements (like I did with the primitives I used for the boolean operations) you just have to combine all the elements you want to delete with another one beforehand and then you select/delete them; that's neat, man. ;D
Anyway that's one more passage that could be avoided so I thought it was worth mentioning. ;)

Thanks RMS.
Well, MagWeb already did the terminator head and a lot of other really impressive models, but I have to say that I've been surprised myself when I realized it's now possible to model mechanical elements with ease (relatively speaking) using booleans with the last improvements you did (faster and more reliable).
Now I just have to complete the scene with the two guns...

Very cool stuff, keep up the good work.  8)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:28:04 AM by hieveryone »