Author Topic: Unable to load external files on OSX 10.8.2  (Read 12755 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unable to load external files on OSX 10.8.2
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
I am still facing a strange problem here:

MM was working on my admin account. Suddenly I'm not able any more to load files to MM (no .mix or other formats) on this user account.
Trying to import or open a file not located in the .app bundle (as the default objects bunny, sphere and plane) MM does not show the objects and often crashes. Obviously these files were loaded for auto-restore recovers the last scene without problems.
The funny thing is that MM works on a different user account on the same machine. So the installation seems to be ok.

Also previous MM version (07) show the same defect now.
There should be some common file within the Users directory that is corrupted (maybe used by a different app?) I uninstalled MM, I deleted the MM directrory in User/Library/ApplicationSupport as well as the MM folder within Documents - no luck. There seems to be a different location were MM saves/reads settings as the background color (for all installations of MM always show the same color even after the mentioned folders were erased or after a fresh installation).

Any hint wecome- I´m running out of ideas...
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to load external files on OSX 10.8.2
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
Found a workflow to get the empty viewer to display the scene:

Import external file >>> empty, frozen scene
Go to Select and do a "blind" selection
Accepting ConvertToPart: a region around the selection gets visible, SceneBrowser gets active;
ESC
Moving a CutPlane or a MirrorPlane across the scene shows  the hidden model in total.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
I have no idea...your log file had nothing in it that was helpful. I am not sure I have 10.8.2...I will update my laptop Monday morning and see if I can reproduce it.

What is the exact machine you are using, just to check? I might be able to find one in the office.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
I´m running MM on an
iMac 27'' middle 2011;
CPU: 3,4GHz Intel Core I7;
RAM: 12GB 1333 MHz DDR3;
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB;

Goods news, after some hours I got MM to load files again (which may be also an explanation for the unintended solution of problems reported in the beta08 thread):
It seems to be an "Open File Dialog"-mode issue.
 At a certain point hitting Import, MM opened a Finder window that showed only media files in "iTunes mode" (I imported some images to iPhoto before) - I was not able to browse or switch directories in this dialog.... So I used the search textfield. This made Finder drop to its standard mode. And now: imported/opened files are here again!
Seems MM uses the last(?) Finder-mode and can´t handle some of the possible modes?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
Ok - reconstructing the problem: Using "Search" seems not to be the all-in-one solution ---
Stuck again after importing images to iPhoto (just to reproduce)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
sounds very weird...I am using the Qt open-file dialog...it is a somewhat out-of-date version of Qt though, released before Lion came out. That may be the source of the problem...
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 04:31:49 AM »
It IS very weird! ;)

But finally I found my way to reproduce:

How to damage (just an example):
Within MM hit Open/Import;
Set the Open Dialog at the left sidebar to show a MEDIA folder ( maybe Photos);
>>> from now on MM does not show imported stuff any more (see above);

How to fix it (just an example):
I did not find a way to fix it within MM (not yet). But an older version of MeshLab (1.2.2 - 2009 using QT too) shows a similar "open file dialog fallback" -  changing the open directory here in Meshlab, MM can open files again;

Seems your QT assumption is right

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
ok, I can reproduce it...but for me it goes away if I restart meshmixer. IE if I shut down and restart meshmixer, then I can import again. Is that also what you are seeing?

(will try to debug to see what is happening inside...looks like the file is not actually loading)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »
Nice  ;) ...and I thought this would only happen to me. I´m sorry to be the one who reports such stupid stuff. I´d prefer to see you working on your ideas. But if I would not know that MM can do an awesome job ...

Confirmed: If I set the open file dialog to a critical mode in MM and shut down/ reopen MM, I can load files again. But if that critical mode was set by another app (as Meshlab - I´m sure that it was not Meshlab in my case)  MM can not show  a loaded file  (you cann´t even browse files when you´ve  set the dialog to media files in Meshlab). I´m quite sure that there is at least one other, still unknown critical mode (than the media file mode) for I had a mode making it possible to browse files  and MM showed the same "nothing" at the end .... no need to say again: a very confusing thing

Think the file IS loaded ( but maybe corrupted?).
When your scene is frozen, MM menue still works. Go to Select. Do a selection that should hit your object (without seeing what you are doing). Then Edits/ConvertToPart and Accept. Here the objects gets partially visible. Now try PlaneCut moving the plane cross the object and the object gets visible here. If there occurs a crash, AutoRecovery nicely shows the scene after a restart.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
argh yup is a Qt bug...unfortunately not fixed in Qt 4.8.3 (the most recent one I can use). It looks like it is maybe going to be fixed in Qt 5 but I can't use that. It happens even if you don't open a file...just cancel the dialog and resize the window. For me the viewport becomes garbage.

I can fall back to a non-native (ie Qt-only) file dialog....is ugly and not nearly as functional, though... =\

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 05:16:39 AM »
....just cancel the dialog and resize the window. For me the viewport becomes garbage.
same here.

I can fall back to a non-native (ie Qt-only) file dialog....is ugly and not nearly as functional, though... =\
Now that we know the reason and how to repair, I would put it on the "known issues" list and leave MM as it is. Maybe worth to put it to the FAQs.

fmarcaccio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 11:31:18 AM »
"Now that we know the reason and how to repair, I would put it on the "known issues" list and leave MM as it is. Maybe worth to put it to the FAQs."
Please, can you explain how to fix the Problem. or where i have to reed instructions to make MM work with OSX 10.8.2?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »
This problem is due to a bug in Qt. "Qt is a development framework with tools designed to streamline the creation of applications and user interfaces"

For this reason MM (on OSX 10.8.2 and using this framework) has problems loading meshes if the OpenMesh dialog is in certain modes:
This OpenFile dialog has four modes (toggles in the upper left).
If you set it on "symbols" or "coverflow" (from within MM or in a third party Qt based app) you will not be able to load files to the viewport any more. MM might crash, might show a garbage viewport or simply leave the viewport empty.

Until now I didn´t find a way to fix this within MM. No chance to set the OpenMesh dialog to a compatible mode within MM. So quit MM.
Go to another Qt based app (you might use Meshlab for this). Open its OpenFile dialog and set it to a compatible mode (as shown in the image below). Done.
Qt remembers the last used mode and MM can open/import files again (until you decide to switch on a wrong mode).

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
I have found another possible workaround for this, which I will post here so I have somewhere to send people. (The Meshlab workaround still works, but this one doesn't require meshlab)

MM will (currently, as of v2.1) not work with the coverflow or large-icon modes of the Finder file windows. If you switch to one of those icons, and then open/import a file, it will either crash or be non-responsive, and then crash on exit. The latter is what happens on my MBAir and MBPro, with 10.9.1.

To work around this, first go to the Import finder dialog and select one of the middle two list-view icon modes. Then Cancel the dialog, and exit meshmixer (if it does not crash). If it crashes on closing the dialog for you, you might try exiting while the dialog is still visible. In this case (for me) the UI is still frozen, and when I exit MM it will still crash.

But, if I now re-open MM, and go to Import, and pick a file, it will render correctly, and I can use MM. However, it will still crash on exit, once. But on a second attempt, it does not crash anymore.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 11:33:19 PM »
I believe we have fixed this issue in mm2.4. If you still observe this problem, please post in this thread.