Author Topic: MM Dummy  (Read 9123 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MM Dummy
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
Hi,

I made a poseable dummy with MM means.
I use 30 objects: 14 pink/red spheres (joints) 16 white irregular shapes ("bones").
The joints define the center of rotation while the selected other parts are rotated around its center.
I had some trouble getting the first selected sphere to be the one that defines the center of rotation till I sorted the scene. Seems it is important whether an object is lower or upper in the scene list. The most upper one seems to be the one that defines where the transform tool snaps to (not essentially the first selected object as I thought before...)

To get this dummy working I had to build a hierarchic scene structure starting with the red stomach followed by its neighbor joint(s). For I do not want to get the bones as a center of rotation, these objects are at the bottom of the list.
Now clicking on the joint to be rotated first, add his neighbor bone, the next joint  a.s.o. in order of the scene list (especially if there are two or three neighbors).

Its fun to find a nice pose.

Finally combine all objects doing BooleanUnion several times.

My current Dummy.mix is a bit big to post it here. If people are interested I could do reduction...

This technic to define a center of rotation with a helper object can also be useful to rotate any piece around any center.

I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: MM Dummy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
wow I am amazed that you figured this out...I didn't do anything intentional to enable something like this! I haven't really thought much about multi-object workflow...but I'm pretty sure I can make this easier =)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:07:07 AM »
...but I'm pretty sure I can make this easier =)

Great!
I think, using objects to define a center of rotation is much more intuitive than setting it via another tool (action-line or something like that) and it allows to use known tools.
To streamline this workflow the only really needed thing is to make the Transform tool snap to the first selected object (to avoid hierarchy trouble) as long as you want to keep separate objects.
The final aim of something like this Dummy is to end with a basemesh to do further sculpting. So one needs to perform many BooleanUnions. Stack processing (BooleanUnion of all visible objects - pair by pair) would save some time. For BooleanUnion (against Difference) does not need to know the first and the second involved object, the only problem would be to find intersecting objects until there there are no more intersecting objects.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:01:31 PM »
I just posted an update on downloads page...now the first object you select defines the xform frame.

(you should get an update notification in-app...takes about 30 seconds to show up though)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:26:56 PM »
Wow thats fast, great :) works like a charm.

I was just creating a new dummy of a hand and had a lot to do to get objects sorted (BTW: A trick to sort your scene is to duplicate an object. The object is added at the list's bottom. To delete an object from your list, go via SelectMode/SelectAll/Discard. Now the object is empty. Combine it with any object)

And here is some example. It is not perfect, but nice to play with. It's a good idea to choose the green spheres to rotate active objects. Forget all I said about hierarchy above...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:36:43 PM by MagWeb »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
pretty cool..

MagWeb, have you tried Blender's new skin modifier? (its kinda like z spheres)

blendtut skin-modifier skin modifier overview.
http://www.blendtuts.com/skin_modifier_04_09_2012

this guy takes a crack at it modeling a hand with blender skin modifier,
his accent cracks me up, check it out maybe it will help someone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BncaZmeCgrY
---------

anyhow about your dummy hand,
it would be nice if we could select all pieces and Boolean union all of them at one time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:04:07 PM by HolyEnigma74 »

stagwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »
WOW.... knowing this is possible in MM = *MIND BLOWN*

Afiferza

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 02:30:06 AM »
I was pleased to make knowledge more than ever before and be able to study it more.