Author Topic: meshmixer08 beta 1  (Read 48590 times)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
meshmixer08 beta 1
« on: October 12, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »
it's about time for an update, no? I have some new toys for you...

- FaceGroup support
    - toggle face group visibility on/off in View menu (Mesh Color Mode submenu)
    - most operations create new face groups,
    - Modify Selection options to Expand To Connected Group (g), Create FaceGroup (ctrl+g), Clear FaceGroup (shift+ctrl+g),
        - double-click selection brush within group to select entire face group
- new Stamp tool w/ several operators
    - Heal operation locally remeshes (will fill small holes, etc)
    - Insert Polygon operation inserts selected Polygon part into mesh
    - Insert Hole operation cuts hole using selected Polygon
- new MakePolygon Tool converts selection into 2D polygon (for Stamping)
- support for setting a surface as Target Surface  (Actions menu, Set As Target & Clear Target)
- new VolBrush Attract operation that pulls brushed area towards Target)
- new Brush options - continuous Flow, Hold Boundary, Restrict to Group
- SmoothBoundary tool now supports vertex pins (double-click on vertex to add pin) ((can't move them yet))
- Ground-Plane Grid and 3D Origin point
- 3D transformation widget used in Transform/Cut/Mirror tools now has object & world frames
    - (toggle with dots on outer circle)
- new Flip widget for PlaneCut, Mirror, and Align tools
    - (short blue arrow)
- Cut from Screen Line in PlaneCut & Mirror tools
    - (start drawing line on background)
- Replace tool (Erase&Fill) has new fill modes, parameters
- hotkey 'r' for Remesh tool
- sliders now support relative drag (hold ctrl) and rate control (move up/down from slider)
- many bugfixes and performance improvements

This is a testing beta, so I have not posted it to the main downloads page yet. Please post problems you run into in this thread. Downloads here:
[Win32] [Win64] [OS X]

I will follow-up with some examples of what you can do with these things...but feel free to experiment =)

UPDATE **10/16/2012**
New build has been posted (use same links as above).
- fixed most bugs mentioned in this thread (UI glitches, etc)
- MeshBooleans vastly improved again - stitching much more robust, less crashy, will work more often, significantly faster

UPDATE **10/22/2012**
- transform tool now has visual snap-guide for rotation angle, and numeric feedback 
    - use left/right or up/down arrows to increase/decrease # of snap points
- plane-cut tool now tries to handle holes inside cut faces (ie it should work better...)
    - I have exposed some options so you can try different things (some are faster than others as well)
- Join tool improved (less crashing, works more often)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:37:15 PM by RMS »
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

colorina

• View Profile
Re: meshmixer08 beta 1
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 02:21:32 AM »
Sounds fantastic!!!
Downloading now  :)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
Again: Stunning improvements! Thanks! :-*

Just ran it on Mountain Lion:
- A note about installing:
  Default security settings in Mountain Lion only allow applications loaded via AppStore or verified developers.
  So Gatekeeper blocks MM.
  To allow execution of MM (without disabling Gatekeeper) you have to RightClick MM and choose "Open" in the submenue while ctrl is pressed. Allow execution in the following dialog. From now on MM starts as usual.

- Rendering of a selection:
 Don´t know if that is intended, but the orange selection turns into a almost not noticeable very pale orange when the program waits for Accept. For example: If you smooth a boundary of a selection, the affected faces are only rendered very pale till you accept. Now the selection is orange as normal again.

- Seems DragBrush does not HoldBoundary (even if enabled) as other brushes do.

- Here Paint Brushes (VolBrush or SurfBrush) do not apply color any more.

Booleans now allow more than one connected piece as its base and result!!! Great

Is there a way to transform a target mesh without clearing it?

I´m very exited exploring the many new possibilities!

Thanks again
Gunter

I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »
Hi again

to report a beta issue:

There seems to be something wrong here (MAC OSX 10.8.2) opening files:

Trying to open/import files .mix as well as .obj and .stl the load file  progress bar appears , filename is shown in the upper bar, but the scene stays empty.

I can load objects  from within the MM.app contents/resources via import bunny, import sphere, import plane.

I copied bunnyr.obj from ../resources to a different location (desktop) and imported that file >>> empty screen.
I copied my big gnome.obj (250MB) to .../resources and renamed it to bunnyr.obj and used ImportBunny >>> fine: my gnome was loaded and displayed
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
hrm...guess I will have to do some more testing on OSX tomorrow. I just made a build and tested that the new tools were working, did not test for regressions. Irritating about the GateKeeper thing...

Glad to hear that Booleans are working better. I have been trying to improve them...there are some bugs I have figured out but not fixed yet, that should make them even more robust in future.

selection hilight: whoops. yes, bug.

To see the painting you need to switch from group colours to vertex colours (in the view menu, mesh colour mode submenu). I'm not really show how to show both, yet.

Do you mean Drag brush or Move brush? For me Drag will properly hold boundary but Move (i.e. remeshing disabled) does not...

what do you mean by "transform mesh without clearing it"? What is getting cleared?

About your file loading problem: What happens if you resize the window? Does that help at all?
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 03:41:42 PM »
Yes, there are big improvements in booleans. Just switched to WIN7 64 and loaded a heavy scanresult (250MB) with  lots of undercuts and isolated pieces and ran BooleanDifference with a default sphere>>> cool, fast and stable. Just some open boundaries at the "seam" and only a few little distortions at some areas.... So if you think you can do it even better: wow!

This Security thing came with Mountain Lion . But it is no Problem knowing how to deal with it. That´s why I mentioned it here

AH, sure, forgot about the different render modes... Paint works on both OSs

I mean the drag brush. On WIN it keeps the boundary, while it doesn´t on OSX here (checked again - no matter whether refinement enabled or not)

Ooops: Resizing MM gives nice colored patterns of a multiplied dock if mini/maximized and some artefacts dragging it smaller or bigger (so it seems to be a render issue). No luck so far loading something but the default objects on MAC ...

I meant: If a mesh is set as being the target (transparent material) I can not move or transform it any more. Think it would be nice to have that option for one could use it to "print" its topology onto different parts of the other mesh(es). (One can do it always using "ClearTarget", transforming it and "SetAsTarget" again.

Seems Inspector does harder jobs now too?

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Man, I love this beta. Great job as usual.  8)

To try some of the new functions (especially the corner pin  ;)) I did a model of a gun using a pdf tutorial for 3dcoat as reference. This peacemaker have been done entirely in meshmixer, wow.  :o

Just a couple of notes:

while using the plane cut it would be good to have an angle snap, right now you can use a lazo selection (sort of) but because you don't have an ortographic view you can't be certain you're cutting the plane properly. More often than not I had to create an extra box and use a boolean subtraction to have a perfectly aligned plane cut;

one time I experienced the old graphic glitch that shows the inside of the model;

I haven't been able to repair the majority of the boolean errors using the inspector, those areas are the blue marks you can see in the images. I also tried the zip brush and the fill tool, unsuccesfully;

it would be great to have coordinates for the transformation tool so that you could be more precise using numeric values. Also it would be better if the red handles for the corner pin and the warp had a smaller fixed size no matter the distance, more than once I had a hard time creating two corner pins that were too close;

sometimes size don't work for smooth brush, sometimes it stops at a fixed value (like 54/68). As a workaround you can change the size with the select brush and then switch back to the smooth brush;

I didn't have tried all the new functions yet, but until now the program have proved to be quite stable; it just crashed a couple of times because of boolean operations and using the add detail brush on ruined areas. The corner pin is great, it just needs a slider to control the sharpness of the corner, and if it would be possible to move the handles to control the form of the selection curves it would be perfect. The boolean operations works usually flawlessly with multiple objects, the only problem are those opened areas that are created from time to time. Good stuff nonetheless. ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:46:40 PM by hieveryone »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »
wow! That is pretty cool.

you can snap to angles when using the rotate widgets by holding shift. It is a bit weird though....it snaps to 45-degree increments from wherever you started. So if you start axis-aligned it is OK, otherwise it can get a bit wonky. (I need to give the transform tool a bit more time, clearly)

I know about the little failures from the Booleans. That is one of the bugs i mentioned...I figured out why it is happening on Friday but I wanted to put this beta out. One thing you could try is doing a Remesh or Reduce in that area...I haven't tested it, but it occurs to me that it might fix the problem. (I would be curious to know if it does).

The rest, UI bugs, definitely will fix =)

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
I just tried that as well and it didn't work either. Apparently the healing stamp is the only working solution at the moment.
I'm sending you the model so that you can take a look at it yourself. In case I'm able to recreate this kind of error again I'll send you the project with the elements before the boolean operation.

Thanks for the tip about the angle snap using shift, I missed that. ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:43:20 PM by hieveryone »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »
Wow!  :o

I just found this post.. will try it out ASAP.
i feared this program has died..
glad to see you're still working on it.   :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:46:01 PM by HolyEnigma74 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »
ok.. just played with it a little but after not touching MM for awhile..
first impressions..(the interface needs  help, to much hunt and search for what you want to do)
its slow and cumbersome(to many steps) to do one thing,
some of this stuff needs to have automatons or subroutines..
there is shortcuts in the interface but.. ehhh.

im wondering if maybe if that command bar was at the bottom if it would be better?
and put accept on the bottom right close to the layers menu.
(or give a choice in the view menu if you want top or bottom or both?) :D

dont know..
just still think the overall interface needs some kind of redesign. 

I like the groups idea.
 just think selection "masks" should be quicker to do..
selections should also refine the selection as you paint it(or have a separate selection brush that does).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:38:20 PM by HolyEnigma74 »

Philo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Philohome website
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 05:58:24 AM »
Wow indeed! I have not yet tested and integrated all the new tools (eg. pinning usage remains a bit mysterious to me), but many new things are very interesting (the most promising for my needs is the attract tool)!
A demonstration video will be highly appreciated  ;)
Philo

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
Update about my OSX loading problem:

No idea why, but today loading files works like a charm  :D

Even yesterday I rebooted OSX several times... The only thing I did today was to change some read/write permissions via MM.app/Information. But now these settings are as they were yesterday and it works - strange thing.
Also rendering problems at minimize/maximize are gonne.

Gonna check other MAC issues reported yesterday...

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »
Also today ;) dragBrush does not keep boundary here on OSX.

Noticed another problem:
Importing a textured mesh and going to Stamp: Here texture isn´t rendered right.
As in some other operations (refinement enabled) a StampBrush erases texture around the brush.

wevon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »
HolyEnigma74 
"the interface needs  help, to much hunt and search for what you want to do)
its slow and cumbersome(to many steps)".

I'm not agree, I think Mesh Mixer has a really good UI.
Seams slow because is very context sensitive and you have to accept every instruction.
If you know the hotkes you can access to everywhere directly and MeshMixer accepts the las action automatically.
I love it.

I'll would suggest some small changes, but not a redesing.