Author Topic: My modest use of MeshMixer...  (Read 9175 times)

Philo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Philohome website
My modest use of MeshMixer...
« on: March 23, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
Since this forum is desperately quiet these days... here is a short preview of my MeshMixer use. I am a member of LDraw organisation, whose goal is to create 3D models of LEGO parts. Organic shapes are tough to create, fortunately 3D scan is now affordable (I use David laser scanner software).
Raw scan of a horse figure head...

Smoothed, assymetric parts are set apart, more or less symmetric parts are mirrored

Edges are enhanced.

Result is down sampled (I used Meshlab), and converted to a LDraw parts. The symmetry allows reuse of half of the mesh. Edge outlines lines are added on sharp angles.

Patterns are created.

...and here is the full result, the whole range of LEGO Fabuland people...

Philo

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: My modest use of MeshMixer...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
Did you make all of those heads using this process ?!?!
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

Philo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Philohome website
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 03:35:51 AM »
Yes I made all the heads, but the process evolved with time - it was a two years long task, started when I discovered David software. The first ones were done with David, Meshlab, and a bunch of triangle level tools wost of which I wrote myself. Tedious at best! Then someone told me about Sculptris that was a great help to sharpen edges. But the most difficult heads to do were those with only partial symmetry like the horse. Fortunately MeshMixer appeared in the meantime, and it's especially powerful to separate and re-merge the various sections. The extrude tools are pretty useful too, eg. to create fox's hat: as it is solidly glued on head, I could only scan top. Bottom of hat was obtained with extrusion.
Philo

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
impressive suite of tools you have there! Slap a python interface on top of those tools and I bet people could generate a lot of interesting models...
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting