Author Topic: Demon  (Read 9282 times)

hieveryone

• View Profile
Demon
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
I used the model of a demon I'm doing for a contest to test some of the new features of MM. You did an awesome job as usual, RMS. 8)

Now that I'm using the lazyNezumi for the lazy mouse I'm finally starting to get the right feeling from the sculpt brushes, the only thing missing is the possibility to have bigger values for strenght: when I use the surface brush with a small size I have to pass on the same spot countless times just to start seeing a faint line. Or maybe an airbrush function in the brushes could do the trick (not to mention it would be quite useful anyway)... ;)

One thing I just noticed is that when I double-click on the sliders, a window to insert numeric values pops up; I don't remember if you added this feature in the previous versions, anyway it's quite cool.
Is there a way to select more than one manipulator at once for the warp?

I also noticed that if I try to do a mirror of an object, the transformations manipulator shows up at the center of the mirror plane. Is it possible to have a relative position for the mirror plane so that if I'm mirroring smaller objects I don't have to zoom the camera back and forth to use the manipulator?

There are just two issues that I found, one is with the drag 'n drop, the other is with the plane cut. I'm attaching images of both.
For the first I didn't used it extensively, but I noticed that sometimes the mixed objects disappear, or rather I should say that they are moved on the inside of the model, creating a hole on the mesh.
For the second, I don't recall if anyone already pointed that out, but some of the object's faces are reconstructed in a weird way.
Anyway the build is quite stable, it crashed just one time when I did a transformation and the mixed mesh rotated inside of the model, so I think I could call that just bad luck. ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:49:08 AM by hieveryone »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: Demon
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »
The cut plane problem is an error, I am aware of it.

The drag-drop problem is basically a failure case...the internal algorithms do not always work and I do not have a 'fallback' approach implemented. When you see that, you often just have to wiggle it a little bit, although that may not always work. Just don't have time to try and improve the implementation right now =\

the slider double-click was recently added due to popular request =)

There is not away to select more than one warp manip right now. Do you find the warp useful? I am never sure...

Centering the mirror plane should be easy...which brush are you using that is not strong enough?

created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
About the drag 'n drop, yeah, moving (or transforming in general) the mixed part a little can make it  reappear but depending on how it's moved it could disappear again. It usually happens when the part is bigger than the area you are trying to attach it, but it can happen also on bigger areas.

Usually I warp the areas using the move brush while sculpting, but I think that being able to select various areas and warp them at once could be useful in some cases. Anyway I was just curious, I wouldn't put that on top of my wish list. ;)

About the brush, until now I used the surface d2 brush, but a moment ago I tried all the brushes just to be sure I didn't overlooked something and I find out that more or less the max brush already does what I needed (its behaviour is more similar to that of a layer brush, but even at a higher level of subdivision it leaves stronger marks). So I think you can just ignore my earlier request (apart for the airbrush). :-X

I noticed that the pointer freezing issue with the tablet usually occurs when you try to rotate the camera, or sometimes when you operate around the edges of a model. I sculpted for a while doing only those two operations using the mouse and I didn't had any problem since. :o

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »
Yes the 'd3' and 'dmax' modes of SurfaceBrush work much better than the d1 and d2 if you want consistent amount of surface change. The d1 and d2 brushes are based on an older implementation. I really should port d3 and dmax to VolBrush...

The drag-drop issue is hard to fix...basically it needs more robust implementation of some computational geometry algorithms than I have available right now =\. It is the sort of thing that could easily consume 2 weeks of work, so I don't really feel like it is worth it at the moment.

One thing that can help is to run the smoothing brush over the target area, to 'prep' it....and/or reducing/increasing the triangle density to be similar to the part you are trying to drop.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:15:03 PM »
RMS.. sorry for my butting in.. ;)
All the brushes could use a little extra strength IMHO..

Also, could you make the Move and Drag brushes size, slider go up to about 5 or so(at least the move brush)
it only goes up to 1 now. i like big move brushes. :)
And the Warp is fantastic!(i have to use it since the move brushes are so small) :D

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »
Yesterday I tried to copy into the brushes folder some of the free alphas of zbrush, and mesh mixer crashed right after being opened. I think that is due to the size of some of the alphas because I made various copies of the standard alphas for test purpose without any problem. It's not a big deal but maybe you could take a look, maybe it's just a bug.

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
This is a model I started for a contest on CGHub, but unfortunately I couldn't finish it in time to submit it.
Anyway I'm still working on it just to complete it, it shouldn't take too much time to do the props that are still missing.
I had to remesh/reduce all the armor pieces because my pc doesn't have enough ram to handle over 10 million polygons for the composed scene; right now it became a little more than 7 million polygons.
As usual it have been sculpted with sculptris and meshmixer, and it required almost everything meshmixer had to offer. Demon's hairs are the only thing that I didn't do inside of meshmixer but, well, it couldn't be helped I guess.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:39:50 PM by hieveryone »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »
dude that is CRAZY awesome!

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:34:41 AM »
Wow!!!

Time to update MMs StartUp window content!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:37:52 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.