Author Topic: Rotating combined objects  (Read 2142 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rotating combined objects
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:15:28 AM »
Not sure  if that´s a bug or owns some sense I didn´t understand:

I´m trying to build up some primitive human dummy base.

To do this, I try to keep combined elements (to separate them again using SelectConnected and pose them using the transform tool), as well as boolean unions.

Here, boolean union is used for muscles to bones, nop. Combine is used e.g for the lower part of the leg to pose it as a whole, while I want to do a finer posing by selection of connected surfaces (as e.g. the toes)

Now, when I rotate the combined elements as a whole, this combination isn´t treated as a whole, but each element is rotated around its own center separately. I would have expected that the combination would be rotated as a whole...

(BTW: Is there a way to "bool" a combined mesh to get a single mesh finally? Something like a total hull? - I tried the new Remesh and a zero offset extrusion of combined elements, but that leaves the different elements too . Or a way to split up a combination to bool it one by one?)
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: Rotating combined objects
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:28:25 AM »
Wow that is weird. You are right, each disconnected component rotates separately. That is a bug. Sorry!

Sorry, actually there is no way to have the booleans operate on combined meshes, and no way to extract parts of a mesh into separate mesh objects. This will be in the next update, it is definitely needed.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

TheRedGuy90

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
Does this mean that Meshmixer is currently unable to create rigged dummys?

Is Combine used for that, or Boolean Union?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 02:16:59 PM »
You recall a pretty outdated issue which was fixed long ago:

You do not need to Combine of BooleanUnion - simply multiple activated meshes (press Shift while clicking to add another object to the active ones)

If you transform (rotate) multiple activated objects the widget snaps to the center of the first activated object which acts as a parent while all other activated objects (children) are rotated along with the parent.

If you need a different center of rotation but the patent's center you need to add a Pivot before doing the transformation. Now running Transform the widget will also snap to the center of the parent but clicking on the pivot will make it snap to this position.

I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.