Author Topic: Adding Labels to Models  (Read 264 times)

SandersOrthoLab

• View Profile
Adding Labels to Models
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
Hi, I wanted to know how to add labels to my models for 3D printing. I know how to add them using 123Design but I want to know how to etch the label into the model instead of it sticking out a bit. How do I go about doing that using MeshMixer?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Labels to Models
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 05:22:40 PM »
There's no fonts to mesh functionality in Meshmixer.
So you've to create some mesh from fonts in some third party app and import that mesh to MM.

To embed that text-mesh into your model you could create a MESHMIX open part from it and use MESHMIX to drop that part onto your target object:
1. Create a part: SELECT the text-mesh surface you want to embed.
Run ConvertTo/ConvertToOpenPart and accept.
Now make your target object active.
2. Embed that part: Run MESHMIX. You'll find your created part in MyParts (Hover over the current part category at top of the tool's flyout  and switch to MyParts in the submenu)
Drag&Drop your part onto your target object to the desired location.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

SandersOrthoLab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »
But will the label itself be engraved into the model? There doesn't seem to be an option to engrave it into the model itself so the label doesn't look like it's sticking out.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:58:40 PM »
Here's an example of a text object I did in Rhino, imported to MM and finally converted to a MESHMIX open part (right image).
The part dragged to the default bunny (left image) replaces surface "underneath"

Is this what you're trying to get ?

MESHMIX open parts can be used to add positive stuff as arms a.s.o. but also to do subtractive stuff as mouth cavities.... depends on the shape of the part.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:08:09 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:37:07 AM »
Sorry, forgot:

To get the part embedded "flat" without bulge (as above) use Type: RotInvCoord instead of default COILS while d&d the open part.

cew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:33:59 PM »
Thanks for for explaining this method -   it is a very useful technique for labeling parts and prototypes.  I have been struggling with boolean methods for several years!

SandersOrthoLab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »
Here's an example of a text object I did in Rhino, imported to MM and finally converted to a MESHMIX open part (right image).
The part dragged to the default bunny (left image) replaces surface "underneath"

Is this what you're trying to get ?

MESHMIX open parts can be used to add positive stuff as arms a.s.o. but also to do subtractive stuff as mouth cavities.... depends on the shape of the part.

Yes! This is exactly what I want to do. I'm fairly new to Meshmixer and I import all my labels from 123Design. I think I can make something like your image in 123Design and bring it into Meshmixer but I'm stuck at what to do next. I'm not quite certain on how to put the label onto a scan.

I usually just drag a label onto a scan and situate it where I need it to be and then just combine the two parts from the obect viewer. Is that the way you do it?

I apologize for any inconvenience, I learn a bit faster from watching the Meshmixer videos but I couldn't find one that showed how to add labels.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 03:39:05 PM »
Here's the workflow:

Image1:
1. Import your CAD label object to MM. ( In Rhino I boolean-subtracted extruded text from a flat cuboid)
2. First you should EDIT/GenerateFaceGroups (default settings should work fine on such a hard edge shape. Face groups help to select and to keep the shape in different tools)
3. To get an OpenPart to embed to some other object you need a single open boundary around the label. So go to SELECT, select the bottom and side surfaces of the cuboid (double click the different groups) and hit X to discard those surfaces. Now your label should have a blue line (open boundary)
4. Hit W on your keyboard to render the wireframe. Most likely your CAD export owns  minimal and maybe pretty large triangles which is bad for MM parts. SELECT all.
5. In SELECT run Edit/Remesh. Try to get a result showing denser triangles with a regular size (refer to the settings in the image as an example) and accept.
6. Still the whole object selected run ConvertTo/ConvertToOpenPart. Accept the following dialog.

Congrats! you've created a MESHMIX part.
Image2:
1. Import some target object and run MESHMIX. Hovering the cursor over the current name of the parts set at top of the flyout opens a submenu where you can find MyParts. Click this to load the MyParts set of parts. You should find the part created at last at top.
2. Now click and drag the preview image onto your target object. Release LMB to drop it. Now you can move the patch dragging the widgets center sphere, rotate it dragging the ring around, scale it dragging arrow at the ring.(clicking the little sphere at the ring open other options to orient the surface in 3D). Set Type to RotInvCoor to avoid bulges.
3. Accept and you're done.