Author Topic: Centering a model  (Read 225 times)

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
Centering a model
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
I have a question that might be a bug report but I'm never sure with Meshmixer as it isn't always intuitive (I do love it by the way!).

I still use an old version of MM as I almost daily use it to arange 3D models - I want to center them all the same to make working with them more easy.

In version number 10.10.170 (version 2.7 maybe?) when I would click the print icon it would instantly center my model on the build platform.

I have downloaded and tested lots of versipns since but the print tool has changed, I see also a packing tool but this takes ages and doesn't work for me. I doesn't place the models dead center flat on the origin:

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Centering a model
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »
EDIT/Align with Source set to BasePoint and Destination set to WorldOrigin/Y-up should do the job.
Does it?
Wondering why packing fails for you. It should move the part to the printer's plane as well but slower. Could you try it with the bunny?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:34:09 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:11:49 AM »
Thanks MagWeb you have done it again, it works!  ;D

The first option you said does EXACTLY what I need and the same as the old version when you clicked print - it get my model to the center on the platform.

I also tried the bunny, I saw you helped somebody else in a thread with the same suggestion. It took a while but that did work, so the bunny got packed/aligned the same. But other models take a lot of time and didn't get centered.

But that doesn't matter to me now, I will use the suggestion you made with EDIT/Align from now on.

Thanks again!

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »
You're welcome.

Well, Packing is meant to pack a whole bunch of objects at one click. All visible objects should be placed at the platform while keeping a certain distance between all the arranged objects...
So if there's one single object only Packing is a kind of overkill. Align will be faster for there's less calculation to do.

Just another note on Align:
If you drop pivots on the printer's platform before aligning you could use these as Align Destinations. So if you want to get a non centred orientation as some standard configuration you might save pivots in a .MIX, load it appending it to the scene and align your objects to those presets...
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.