Author Topic: Combine after Planecut  (Read 196 times)

Wattronix

• View Profile
Combine after Planecut
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:41 PM »
I have used Planecut to separate a two legged model to be able to add missing info unable to be scanned between legs.
I believe I still have only 1 object but many shells.
Now that I have cleaned up the two halves of the model, how to i combine them such that I have 1 stl model to print.
Presently one half of the model is ignored when I try to make solid and save as an stl.

Regards,
Ron

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Combine after Planecut
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »
If you want to hide a surface to edit some hidden surface underneath I'd recommend a IMO easier workflow:
- In SELECT select the region to hide;
- Hit "Y" to Separate this region as a separate object;
- Hide it via ObjectBrowser
While editing a partial object make sure to have set "FixedBoundary" in your edit tool's options. To join the parts again:
- Activate both objects clicking the second while Shift is pressed
- Run EDIT/Combine - this leaves open boundaries in the resulting objects where the surfaces were split
- Run EDIT/CloseCracks to weld

Now if you've already split the object by using PlaneCut (with is default FillType "RemeshedFill"):
- Select the infill regions created via PlaneCut (they are a FaceGroup automatically so double click them in SELECT) and discard them
- Activate the both objects to join and EDIT/Combine them
- Most likely CloseCracks will fail to close all cracks in this case (all boundary vertices have to be redundant to succeed). Instead: In SELECT double click on the boundary to select the boundary faces on both sides of the boundary. Run Edit/WeldBoundaries and Accept

The upper workflows keep the surfaces as they were before cutting. MakeSolid instead builds a completely new mesh but should work too.
Did you activate both parts and combine them to one before running MakeSolid?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:15:12 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.