Author Topic: Transform - Lock to Viewport  (Read 89 times)

Sh33pDawg

• View Profile
Transform - Lock to Viewport
« on: February 19, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
Hi

I'm relatively new to Meshmixer but do enjoy it! While using it I had a thought: how about when doing a transform one could lock the selected object to the current orientation and have it move with the camera?

The chief reasoning behind this is that I find positioning tricky when lining up meshes against other meshes. I do a lot of 3D scanning and like to match up the best elements of the different scans together and then join them together. I also use a 3D mouse and to be able to leverage the usefulness of this for transforms would be really great.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:42:04 PM by Sh33pDawg »

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Transform - Lock to Viewport
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 04:24:53 AM »
Nice idea.
Basically it should be possible to write some mmapi script doing this... not tried it yet... let's see.

-----------

Just a hint aligning surfaces in MM:
There are basically two steps in a surface to surface alignment process: Rough and Fine registration.

Rough registration in most cases is done via corresponding points. So if you want to align object A to a target surface B define a pair of corresponding pivots (one on A, one on B).
With A being the active object run EDIT/Align. Set both Source and Destination to Pivot in the tool's options. LMB-click pivot on A and Shift+LMB-click on pivot B > Object A "jumps" to an near to B orientation. Flip the result's direction by clicking on the pale blue arrow in the widget. You may improve that solution manually using rotation. The final result needs to be roughly aligned only but the better the result is the faster will be the next step:

Fine registration: Set B as a target in the object browser (activate magnet icon). With A being active go to SELECT and roughly select the overlaps of A. Now in SELECT run EDIT/AlignToTarget.
Hit "ImproveSolution" several times until you'r satisfied with the result and accept. AlignToTarget only uses the selected areas on A and moves the non-selected surface along. So you have the opportunity to select areas of interest... which is a pretty cool and rare option in alignment softwares... 
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.