Author Topic: meshmixer06 preview  (Read 50870 times)

jim

• View Profile
Re: meshmixer06 preview
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »
well, I just implemented import & append, so you won't need that multi-sphere file...
Awwwyeah! Congratulations :)

Allllrighty, i did some more doodeling and ran into a few more things ...

-i cant seem to create a wacom profile for MM, the program does show up in the list but when i place keys on the pen buttons (Alt,Crlt) they dont work in MM.
Does it work for anyone else?

-i do get frequent cursor freezes when i switch back and forth between mouse and pen, usually wehn i reach for the mouse the curser is suck and i have to use the pen again and klick into the program window bar or do some camera rotations to get the mouse working agin.
(This wouldnt be that much of a problem if the pen keys would work cause right now i only rech for the mouse to zoom)

-Applying smooth boundary onto multiple selections works well as long as the selected aread are not too close together.
If the areas dont have enough triangels in between them one selection will be disregarded or sometimes the program crashes.

Strangely the regular MM program seems to crash more often in this case then the _debug.bat? It happend quite a few times in the regular mode but when i switched to the debug.bat it worked out quite well and took me forever to get the crashes.
Here are the ends of two logs i got from them:

[Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Notifying CentralDispatch]
  [PartLibraryLoader::ProcessNextFile] Processing File
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
  [AutoSaveWriterThread] Thread Starting...
  [View3D::initializeFrameCache] Trying to create FBO with type CombinedDepthStencil...
  [View3D::initializeFrameCache] framebuffer created.
[Application.exec() threw an exception. Trying to show Auto-Save dialog.]

[Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
    [Reading Part]
    [Rendering Icon]
  [AutoSaveWriterThread] Thread Starting...
[View3D] Dropped C:/Users/jim/Documents/meshmixer/libraries/default/1271205424_mannequin2.obj
[View3D] Total Drop initialization time: 0.606131
  [View3D::initializeFrameCache] Trying to create FBO with type CombinedDepthStencil...
  [View3D::initializeFrameCache] framebuffer created.
[View3D] Dropped C:/Users/jim/Documents/meshmixer/libraries/default/1305786187_sphere.obj
[View3D] Total Drop initialization time: 0.312171
[Application.exec() threw an exception. Trying to show Auto-Save dialog.]

-Phew, the Transform Faces function really is a wicked feature! i love it a lot already.
i once got some strange differences in the division ammout on extrusions though.
(i cant find the screenshot i took but what happend was, i transformed two selections at once and on the 1st selection i got about 10 divisions around the extrusion loop where the other got like 100.)

Uhm, i also have two feature requests for this one, ... if i may :)

>A rounder/edge bevel/smooth operation arround the extrusion bundary.
You can digg into it with the smooth brush afterwerds but i found this becomes quite irregular.
To have a automated edge smooth, maybe with a slider for the size really would be awesome.

>(in the case of multiple selections on one object)A flag to regard each selected region as an own operation to do the extrusion for each area based on its own local normal instead of a global transform.
So that a selection like this, would spike like a 'sea urchin'.

-Then i sometimes, somehow, manage to create undeformable areas.
At first i thought that it would be a tablet issue but useing the mouse on these regions does not work either.
i saved a model that has such unpaintable regions in it. (attached)
To reproduce:Load model, turn on volume bruch, pick D1, paint over 'his' left eye.
i hope this is working for you so that you can see what i mean, but for me i can draw on the cheek and get full deformation, then paint over the eyeball and nothing happens.

This happens quite frequent but i cant see a pattern in it, sadly.
Anyone else get this?

i already can see this whole thing work epic though.
Imagine, to write letters on the sphere, applying a smooth boundry and then extruding them over there normal with edge bevel.
INSTANT AWESOMENESS! :D

HolyEnigma74

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »

Imagine, to write letters on the sphere, applying a smooth boundry and then extruding them over there normal with edge bevel.
INSTANT AWESOMENESS! :D

Did it the other day.  ;D

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »
Hey Jim, I haven't had time to look into your file yet, but for the first problem you noted (with the failing area in the smooth boundary):

Try turning down the ROI parameter. Basically in SmoothBoundary I expand the selection by several one-rings, and smooth within that band.
You can control the number of ring-expansions using the ROI parameter, so if you make it smaller, the expanded selections won't overlap and the operation will be OK.

(technically I can handle overlapping ROIs for this particular operation, so this will get better in the future...)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »
ok, other things:

- yes, fairing along edges of extrusions is doable. On the list.
- extrude does use a separate direction for each extrusion...do you mean for Transform Faces? Yes I am going to implement several different kinds of per-selection transformation remappings

As for your eye...this is not exactly a bug, just means I need to tune the D1 brush some more. Basically internally D1 does some heavy iterative smoothing, and that iterative smoothing has to be properly balanced with the part that does the drawing offset. Unfortunately the effect of the smoothing is triangle-area-dependent in a non-linear way. So basically I have to hand-tune a bunch of different settings and then fit a response curve that the brush strength can be mapped to.

The same thing happens with all smoothing, generally. If you use any of my smoothing brushes (or any smoothing brush in any other program) you will find that it smooths more slowly as the mesh gets more dense relative to brush size. And if you smooth over a region with very different triangle sizes, the low-res area will 'smooth faster' and you never actually get to something really smooth.

(Actually my S3 brush doesn't have this limitation. But it smooths more slowly than the S1 and S2 types)

If that doesn't make sense to you, the answer is "best I can do for now, use D2 instead". I can crank up the Strength of D1, but then the brush goes unstable, as we have seen =). If you make it smaller you will see that it has an effect on the eye at smaller sizes.

Basically D1 is a very different brush than I think anything else out there has....sometimes it acts sort of like the 'clay' brush you guys talk about, but without what is necessary for a proper clay brush implementation. But other times it just ends up smoothing, which is what you are seeing (basically it is internally smoothing away the details it is trying to add)

So, I have to go back to the drawing board a little bit, to improve D1. For now I guess it only works at moderate triangle resolutions =\
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

jim

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »
- yes, fairing along edges of extrusions is doable. On the list.

SWEEEET  ;D

Try turning down the ROI parameter.

OMG yes, im very sorry. i did not realize that the ROI slider does this very thing.
It actually works amazing, shows in realtime when selections can be smoothed. Thank you very much.
i probably would have let this thing go and figured it out myself, ...  one day, but been worried about the crashes it caused.

- extrude does use a separate direction for each extrusion...do you mean for Transform Faces? Yes I am going to implement several different kinds of per-selection transformation remappings

Yes, sorry i ment transform.
Thats awesome, i kinda had a feeling youd dig further into this one. ;)
Really exciting, carry on sir!

As for your eye...

Aww, alright i do see this now. i thought i may have created invalid geometry but if its the natural brush behavior its okay.
Youre right, the D2 brush does paint these areas and will be sufficient, so no pressure there.
Its actually quite nice to get the brush behavior explained in some detail now, i sometimes encounter deformations in a unfamiliar manner and mark them as issue even though they turn out to have a good reason i dont see right away.

Did it the other day.  ;D

Lovin it!  ;D