Author Topic: Plane cut or slice out middle of tower, i.e shorter tower!  (Read 166 times)

slikk66

• View Profile
Plane cut or slice out middle of tower, i.e shorter tower!
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
I have a model that is complex, and I need to cut middle out while retaining the shape of the top and bottom.  I want this to result in a new solid shape, just missing a bit of the middle.

Imagine a person where your nipples meet your belt after the operation is complete :)

Here's another example: https://imgur.com/a/bEtVl

I'm new to this, but was trying to deal with plane cut.  I see how you can remove the top or bottom of an object, or slice where you now have 2 items.

Can anyone give a hint on how to do this?

Also, it's an STL file, and I'd like a resulting STL file of all the same dimensions, orientations etc, exactly same, just missing out a ring of model mass taken from middle.

Thank you! And please let me know if I can give any more info.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Plane cut or slice out middle of tower, i.e shorter tower!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 04:10:44 PM »
Several ways to shorten a tower. Here's one cutting off the middle of a cone. Most likely upper and lower part will not fit together precisely on any shape so shape does not matter.

Somehow you've to define the region to get rid of. Here I did it creating three face groups via PlaneCut (1)
In SELECT double clicking the middle Group will select it (2)
Hit X to discard the region.
Run EDIT/SeparateShells to get two objects.
Drop a pivot on each object with PlacementMode at SnapToBoundaryCenter (3)
The tip being the active object run EDIT/Align with "Pivot" in Source and Destination. LMB-click the upper pivot(source) and Shift+LMB-click the lower Pivot(destination) (4)
Select two regions, one on each of the open boundaries and run Edit/Bridge (5)
Run Analysis/Inspector to close the remaining hole (6)
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.