Author Topic: Viewing and editing inside a mesh  (Read 93 times)

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
Viewing and editing inside a mesh
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:06:33 AM »
Hello,

I couldn't find info on this and I have been trying to do this a few times over the years:

I have made a mesh hollow for 3D printing. Sometimes I add a hole on the bottom and sometimes not. How can I edit the inside surface. I would like to resculpt some parts but is there a way to change the view easily? The outside surfaces are in the way. I could maybe cut them and try to join them later but that seems too destructive..

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Viewing and editing inside a mesh
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:52:17 AM »
Instead of cutting you may hide parts of the mesh by selecting a part of a mesh and Edit/Separate ("Y") the selection temporarily to a separate object which you can hide via ObjectBrowser.
You can Combine the objects to one finally and run EDIT/CloseCracks to weld the boundaries. This works non destructive as long as you do not modify the boundary edges and vertices. So make sure that "FixedBoundary" options are enabled in the tools (e.g. in SCULPT/Filters or Remesh>BoundaryMode) while editing.

Unfortunately there's no way to define a clipping plane fixed to a certain distance to the camera orbit's center instead of fixed to the cam's position (as nowadays if you zoom in close). Think this would help a lot for those things.

On a hollow object without "hole-connections" of inside and outside shell you may also use EDIT/SeparateShells to get different objects to hide and CloseCracks isn't needed after Combine.
On a hollow object with "hole-connections" of inside and outside shell think the easiest way to do it is selecting the groups created via Hollow (one for the inside shell and one for each hole) and go the route explained on top.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
Re: Viewing and editing inside a mesh
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »
OK, thanks! I'll try that.  ;)