Author Topic: Meshmix / My Parts  (Read 267 times)

biotechnc

• View Profile
Meshmix / My Parts
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:16:22 AM »
I get the impression that there is mechanism within Meshmixer to import my own parts into the Meshmix Library (Meshmix==> My Parts). Any guidance on this importing process is greatly appreciated...this would save us a ton of clicks in our design process. Thanks in Advance.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Meshmix / My Parts
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 12:06:20 PM »
Via menu:File/ImportPartsFolder you can add an existing directory containing MM parts to your library.
Running this will open a file browser to point to the directory to import.
If you choose a folder via "open" MM will check if there are valid parts within this level.
The parts are added to the active parts library folder (> MESHMIX)

This is meant to share parts created in MM of different users. You can't import third party objects(e.g. pure .obj files) as MM parts.
A single MM part needs at least (if not textured) 3 files:
- something.obj (the geometry)
- something.obj.png  (screenshot of the object as a preview in MESHMIX )
- something.obj.prt (textfile of the part's settings)

You can do this manually (but without checking for valid parts) simply by copying the parts folder via your OS file browser . This allows to create different folders within meshmixer/libraries/parts/user or even .../default (difference between user and default level: You can't discard parts via RMB menu of MM's GUI if it is within the "default" directory)
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.