Author Topic: remesh tool  (Read 251 times)

Outpost31d

• View Profile
remesh tool
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:26:40 AM »
I have a model with about 36,000 vertices.  I am trying to go around the model to discard the books it was placed on but I am noticing when I select the triangles they are quite large and select into the object I am trying to keep.  Is the best option here Remesh---->Relative Density------>Density-------->50% to increase the vertices so I can increase the triangle count for finer detail when I am selecting near the item? Or perhaps is there a better method?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: remesh tool
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 06:58:11 AM »
Your idea should be a right way.

I would select open boundary faces (double clicking the open boundary) only and grow this selection (SHIFT + "." (=fullstop) or Modify/ExpandRing).
Now do Remesh on this selection only ( make sure to set "FixedBoundary" as BoundaryMode to avoid cracks).

Another way is to use SCULPT and its Refine brush to refine the seam brushing over it manually.

If the object requires straight cuts you also might try to do several PlaneCuts (standard global or restricted to selections). Here will be no need to refine the mesh first.

Maybe it also works to create some second object which includes all the stuff of your object (extrude it to a solid first) you want to keep and to run BooleanIntersection.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:03:34 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

Outpost31d

• View Profile
Re: remesh tool
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »
Awesome, was thanks so much!  I will try these different methods you mentioned to see which one works best🙂