Author Topic: World Axes Display?  (Read 335 times)

Tru3DScans

• View Profile
World Axes Display?
« on: December 09, 2017, 05:53:07 PM »
Is there any way to display world origin/world axes in the viewport in MM?

Thanks!

Mike

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: World Axes Display?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:41:07 PM »
ATM there's only the Grid (> Menu:View/ShowGrid) rendering the base plane in XZ where Y is zero. The red sphere is at the origin.
You may drop a pivot to show the world axes but that's pretty tiny.
You also could create something like the attached axes object and import it to your scene. Note that the axes' color only is displayed in VertexColor mode (> Hotbox or:Preferences)
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

Tru3DScans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »
Thanks very much for this info!

If the red dot is the origin, when I import an object into MM, the red dot is not in the center of the grid.  I find this very disorienting.  (The object is also not centered about the red dot/origin... but that may be just the way the OBJ file was setup).

(As an aside, when I open your axes file, the origin dot and pivot are together in the center of the grid.  This makes sense to me as a world origin.  However the extents of the grid is very small and the viewport clipping behind the origin dot is very close.  If I attempt to navigate about the scene, the viewport clipping quickly becomes wacked and the dot/pivot are quickly clipped and orientation is lost.  I assume this is because the dot/pivot by themselves are very small.  If I meshmix in a cube, it is huge and navigation also quickly becomes wacked and I must open a new file to get  MM back to normal (would be nice if there was a 'Reset' function that would reset MM back to startup state).  I probably am doing something wrong but for a new user, these types of experiences aren't really enlightening).

Basically... I want a grid, a world origin and some world axes that remain static so I can constantly orient myself to the environment... as in most 3D programs.  I guess MM doesn't work this way.

Thanks again.

Mike

Tru3DScans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
Here is an image showing an imported OBJ file in MM that may convey the world origin confusion.  You can see the red dot is not in the center of the grid.

(When the object was imported initially, it was not in line with the world axis in any way... I aligned it and rotated it to try to get it in line with the world axis).

Thanks!

Mike

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
The red sphere IS the origin where world's x,y and z is equal zero. The grid instead is drawn in the region (local frame) where your object is. So if your object isn't centred at the origin the grid appears in some offset.

Use EDIT/Align (Source = BasePoint and Destination = WorldOrigin/Y-up) to center your object (in X and Z) at the origin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:57:44 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

Tru3DScans

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
Thanks for this info!  That aligns just fine.

My vote for the wishlist would be the option of the world axis displayed (along with the red origin sphere).

Thanks again.

Mike