Author Topic: holes when printed don't show up in mesh  (Read 90 times)

astroboy

• View Profile
holes when printed don't show up in mesh
« on: November 25, 2017, 01:19:34 AM »
I have been attempting to print a submarine model that I cut into several pieces in meshmixer. Now when I view the model in simplify 3d as a wireframe, It seems complete yet there are holes in the mesh when it is printed out. (see pics) I ran the analyzer in mesh mixer and it doesn't seem to have any issues. Yet I have run the same print twice and it clearly has a hole in the same place both times. Any help would be appreciated. Meshmixer is clearly a great tool I'm discovering, but since I'm a newbie I'm still learning and need some assistance. Thanks in advance.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: holes when printed don't show up in mesh
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 03:31:05 AM »
This seems to be no MM but a printing, supports or slicing issue.

Your holes appear at regions where printing needs to print almost horizontal.
- maybe you didn't apply enough supports on those regions?
- maybe your print settings are not optimal? At short perimeters melted filament might not cool down enough until the next layer is applied.
- maybe it is simply too thin, so later perimeters do not get contact to previous ones?
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

astroboy

• View Profile
Re: holes when printed don't show up in mesh
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »
I know my walls are very thin but I haven't really figured out how to increase the thickness as of yet. I would like to add some sparse internal support but at the same time I'd like it to be hollow. So I've no infill set in simplify 3d at all. I thought it might be some kind of invisible hole in the mesh since there is no excess plastic laying around that the extruder tried to lay down. I realize I could use some internal support, but it amazingly increases the time and use of plastic. Is there a way to add a ring to the inside wall that wouldn't fill the entire hollow body? besides having to draw one from scratch?

thanks again