Author Topic: Make automatic recalculation optional  (Read 111 times)

kai

• View Profile
Make automatic recalculation optional
« on: January 15, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »
Hello all,
I am working with rather large meshes (multiple million vertices). When select the whole mesh and go into edit mode (for example for extrusion), then the mesh is recalculated with every change I do in the parameters of the dialog. This takes about 30 sec or more for each change. Thus, the use of a slider is impossible.
It would be great if there was a global setting to turn off automatic recalculation and only calculate when the dialog is closed with "Accept" (or a certain key is pressed).
Best regards
Kai

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Make automatic recalculation optional
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:38:14 PM »
I support your wish. Similar wishes were posted over the years.

Two hints which may help you at MM's current state:
- Some tools remember the last used settings. So instead entering a tool with a high poly object it's a good idea to add some primitive object to the scene. Make this low poly active, enter the tool and do your desired set of settings. Now switch the object and enter the tool again. As said, this works for some tools...
- On a high poly object you should not use sliders. Instead double click the displayed numerical value of the parameter and put in the desired value via keyboard. The scene updates as soon as you hit Enter.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

kai

• View Profile
Re: Make automatic recalculation optional
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »
Hi MagWeb,
thanks a lot for the hints!
Kai