Author Topic: Faster Support Generation  (Read 186 times)

mitchfx

• View Profile
Faster Support Generation
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »
Are there any plans to optimize the generation of supports for complicated models?  I really like experimenting with them for organic objects to be printed on my FDM units, but most of my models are over 1 million polys which really slows down the supports creation.  I often have to wait 5 minutes or more each time I make a change and re-generate them, which makes fine tuning things very painful.  What might be cool is to have an option to create/use a decimated proxy of heavy objects that would be used for the supports calculations but then swapped back out for the orginal high-res model upon export or sending to printer. 

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Support Generation
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:33:22 AM »
You might try this:

- Create a duplicate of your highres object. Hide your highres object.
- Decimate your duplicate object
- Create supports on that reduced duplicate
- That done go to SELECT, select the reduced object's surface and discard it so only supports remain
- Show your highness object and combine it with the supports.

Notes:
- Doing this you'll see MM treating the supports as standard objects running Overhangs once again;
- Be careful while reducing. Reducing too much might result in intersection between supports and highness object finally.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RS

• Meshmixer Product Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Support Generation
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
Thank you for your suggestion. You are asking for a complex feature that is not likely to appear in a free product in the nearest future.
For now you might have to experiment with other Autodesk products, like Netfabb or Fusion.