Author Topic: Possible to plane cut along a curve?  (Read 121 times)

sd_dreamcrystal

• View Profile
Possible to plane cut along a curve?
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »
Ok let me explain what I'm trying to do.

I have a model of a horse that I want to make hollow, add some pegs to the inside, and cut it in half along the back line of the horse. Here is the catch though. I want to be able to do this with a model that has it's head turned but have the cut follow the turn.

I have tried to turn the model's head after doing both a hollow and plane cut and it just doesn't work out. So What I need to do is turn the head first, then hollow, then plane cut. I know that if I just do the plane cut as it is, one half of the model will have awkward cuts and some pieces might end up unattached.

Any ideas. I cannot post screenshots of what I am trying to do because right now I'm not on a computer with Meshmixer installed.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to plane cut along a curve?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
If you want to get a nonplanar cut you've to go the Boolean way.

Something like this:

- SELECT/Extract the outer shell of your object (A) as a separate object (B).
- On B construct a cutting line by manually selecting one half and running SmoothBoundary to get a FaceGroup on one half.
- Select this group and run Edit/EraseAndFill with FlatRemeshed as FillType.
- Select the new surface and run Deform/Smooth with ConstraintRings down to 1 and maybe a bigger SmoothingScale to get a nicer cutting surface.
- Invert this selection and discard the remaining surface coming from your source object.
- Now there should be just a cutting surface with an open boundary.
- Select this surface and extrude it to be wider than one half of object A. Select parts of the extrusion's side walls and extrude these parts as well. You should end in an object inscribing one half of your object A totally.
- Now make a copy of A and B as well to get two pairs.
- Activate A1 and B1 and run BooleanDifference.
- Activate A2 and B2 and run BooleanIntersection.

Hope this does what you want to get.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:42:34 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

Adisanut

• View Profile
Re: Possible to plane cut along a curve?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »
I would have to face if the curve is not much.