Author Topic: [2017-10-22] OBJECT BROWSER 2.0 (Assemblies & exportation)  (Read 308 times)

rygoextreme

• View Profile
[2017-10-22] OBJECT BROWSER 2.0 (Assemblies & exportation)
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:02:17 AM »
Hi All,
I work in a non-profit making hands prosthesis (www.prohand3d.cl). Meshmixer is our main software beacuse is great and simple to adapt prosthesis to all our patients.
However, as we work with assemblies, we think in two "wishes" to improve the workflow of all in the same situation:
1. Object Browser: many 3d printed objects have a lot of pieces. An example is work with prosthesis with around 30 objects. The wish is in object browser is can group the objects in folders. So with that will be very easy manage the groups, duplicate, a find the right pieces to work. I know that already exist an api for Mac only, but, as PC user and not API skilled, I think could be great for all that this be a native feature.
2. Assembly Export improvement: In meshmixer we have 2 ways to export an STL, all merged, or selecting one by one and then renaming them by hand. The wish is we can export in STL all pieces separately in the same operation, and in the same time, the new STL files take automatically the same name in object browser. Nowadays for an assembly of 30 parts we need to select in object browser one by one, export and rename one at time. This could be a messy work when you have many prosthesis to work.

I hope as our team, you are agree that both wishes are very useful an needed in this great software.
This could really improve the assembly workflow.

Thanks for this great software! you are making a very great job!

Best Regards!

Rodrigo
www.prohand3d.cl

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [2017-10-22] OBJECT BROWSER 2.0 (Assemblies & exportation)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »
Great project!

Just a note on my Mac-only SceneManager:
It's Python source code should run on a WIN machine as well (You would have to install Python and setup MMApi. This done you could run the code via Python Shell)
For there are still issues to polish in the code (I didn't find the time to get that done) I didn't compile it to a standalone  .exe yet.
Sure it would be much better if something like this would be MM native.

For multiple export  to STL I just did a script doing this. You'll see it's pretty simple and stores the files hard coded to meshmixer/models but it does what you want:

Code: [Select]
import mmapi
from mmRemote import *
import mm
import os

# initialize connection to MM
remote = mmRemote()
remote.connect()

# get list of objects:
cur_objects = mm.list_objects(remote)
# loop listed objects:
l = len(cur_objects)
i = 0
while (i < l):
    # find objects' type:
    cmd2 = mmapi.StoredCommands()
    t_key = cmd2.AppendSceneCommand_GetObjectType(cur_objects[i])
    remote.runCommand(cmd2)
    obj_type = mmapi.any_result()
    cmd2.GetSceneCommandResult_GetObjectType(t_key,obj_type)
    remote.runCommand(cmd2)
    # save meshes only:
    if obj_type.i == 1:
        # get the current name:
        object_name = mm.scene.get_object_name(remote, cur_objects[i])
        # store the mesh to meshmixer/models:
        cmd2 = mmapi.StoredCommands()
        cmd2.AppendSceneCommand_ExportMeshFile_CurrentSelection (os.path.expanduser("~/documents/meshmixer/models/" + object_name + ".stl"))
        remote.runCommand(cmd2)
    i += 1

# done!
remote.shutdown()

For such things are scripted easily, think a possible solution would be a feature to run loaded scripts directly from within MM.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:45:47 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RS

• Meshmixer Product Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »
Hi Rodrigo, thank you for using Meshmixer for such a noble purpose! We will add your feature requests to our list. They might not be addressed right away but we're keeping track of them.
If you have time, do you mind writing us how exactly do you use Meshmixer?
meshmixer@autodesk.com
Ruslana

RS

• Meshmixer Product Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »
Thank you, Gunter!