Author Topic: Adding a printer or setting up print bed  (Read 205 times)

bixby

• View Profile
Adding a printer or setting up print bed
« on: October 12, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
Im new here and new to meshmixer and was hoping someone could help me out. I using meshmixer to help with cutting down large objects to fit my printer, Da Vinci Pro, and to help me with good support structures.  I need an accurate layout of the print bed to help with the supports, cutting, and other various actions.  Seeing that the printer isn't on the list Ive been trying to add the printer with little success. Ive followed the manual and have created the profile but it wont let me select it; it doesn't show up in "Custom" or in the main list.

What can I do to make this work? Or at the very least set up a custom print bed size in order to generate proper supports?

Thanks in advance

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a printer or setting up print bed
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
If you are on Meshmixer 3.2 you manually have to create a copy of custom_printers.xml and edit this copy in some text editor (as Editor on WIN, TextEdit at Mac). You'll find this template file in Documents/meshmixer/printers. Follow the link noted in the file to create a new UUID for your printer. Save the edited file to the same location. At MM's next start you should find it in the printers dropdown list.
The dialog in Preferences and its Printers tab is broken in 3.2.

The mmmanual at http://www.mmmanual.com/printing/ refers to the upcoming print workflow in 3.3. You may try current beta 3.2.487. Go to https://beta.autodesk.com, sign in or create an account and click on Meshmixer Beta to get it.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

bixby

• View Profile
Re: Adding a printer or setting up print bed
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
Thank you, I will give those a try and stop back by to let you know if it works out.