Author Topic: Creating Sructures Manually  (Read 128 times)

seinarsson

• View Profile
Creating Sructures Manually
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »
I'm trying to manually add some supports to a model. They add somewhat ok in most areas (when they don't generate at impossible angles). However, when trying to add to the tip of the beak in my model, I can't get any to generate (manually or otherwise)...
https://www.screencast.com/t/edpEoI9dW9S

If I left click on the beak, I can get a support to show up as long as the mouse button is being held...
https://www.screencast.com/t/xCNVAUqCW8HD

But when I try to link it to any part of the model, it immediately disappears.

Do I have a setting wrong?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Sructures Manually
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
Seems the beak is outside the printer's volume? As mentioned MM only builds supports inside the current volume.

Just to test:
Try a very big printer e.g. the Wasp 60 100

BTW: You can post images here expanding "AdditionalOptions" on the post form.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:28:10 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

seinarsson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
Thanks, that worked!

One more question about manually creating structures. Very often when I try to create one manually, I end up with a very oddly shaped structure, that half the time has it's own overhangs...

For instance, trying to add a structure to the tip of the rat's nose, I end up with a weird looking structure...

Is there a way to edit specific structures when they get like this?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
Seems the distance from ground to the rat's nose is smaller than 2 times the tips' height. Therefore the either post cylinder connecting both tips is "negative".

After running the auto generation of supports you may change the support parameters for manual editing. E.g. a bigger post diameter allows to get more stability of the structure... In your ground-to-nose issue you simply need to reduce the TipHeight in AdvancedSupport and draw this support after that.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

seinarsson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »
Tip height did it, thanks for the advice!