Author Topic: Smoothing/tangent mesh  (Read 57 times)

eviglotti

• View Profile
Smoothing/tangent mesh
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »
Hello,

I have an STL object I created from OpenSCAD that is attached as a zipped STL and screenshot. It is basically just a bunch of varying height cubes and I want to take an object such as this and apply a function in meshmixer to create a smoother version, basically something that is a set of tangent curves that cover the whole thing. The end output should look like what would happen if you draped a sheet over the object or as if snow came from the sky and fell over the object making nice smooth curves/hills everywhere.

Any ideas if this can be done? I tried the deform/smooth command and no matter what settings I used it didn't come close to that type of effect.

Thanks!

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Smoothing/tangent mesh
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:15:53 AM »
If you switch on wireframe rendering (hotkey "w") you'll see that owns a minimal density.

You'll need to subdivide it to get more vertices to move them in the Smooth tool.

SELECT: SelectAll > Edit/Remesh at LinearSubdivision  - mode. Pull the density to max and accept.
You'll need to run that subdivision several times to get a nice Smooth result.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

eviglotti

• View Profile
Re: Smoothing/tangent mesh
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:52 AM »
Thank you so much, this definitely worked perfectly. I had to play with it a few times and turn on wireframe to see the result, but each iteration I could see the additions of the triangles that then got smoothed with the deform -> smooth command. There is no question my source STL file was very deficient on triangles as is the case with many models coming from CAD programs.

Thanks!