Author Topic: How to align object's flat face to bottom plane?  (Read 140 times)

MessFixer

• View Profile
How to align object's flat face to bottom plane?
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »
Okay... I'm a beginner and can't find answer to this simple Q: My part has a flat face. I want to make plane cut which is parallel to that face. So, I first need to re-align the part so that the flat face is parallel to bottom plane. How is this done?

RS

• Meshmixer Product Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to align object's flat face to bottom plane?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »
Ok, not sure about the question...(better to post some image explaining your issue...)

Guess there's already some real plane region somewhere and you want to do a cut parallel to that plane:
1. Run EDIT/CreatePivot: With PlacementMode set to SurfacePoint and CoordinateFrame set to GeometryFrame, double click somewhere inside the flat region (this drops a pivot there with its Z oriented to the surface normal). Exit CreatePicot via Done.
2. Run EDIT/PlaneCut. By default the cutting plane will be parallel to the grid. Now click on the pivot  and the cutting plane will snap to the pivot (= to the plane region). Drag the blue "Z" arrow to move the cutting plane parallel to this orientation.

Of course aligning the plane region of the object to the base plane grid and do a default PlaneCut parallel to this plane would do the job too, but doing this precisely would require a pivot for aligning too....Easier to use pivots.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MessFixer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:58:42 AM »
Thanks, MagWeb.  Your tip was what I was looking for, you had understood my problems right.

MessFixer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:01:38 AM »
RS,  the link you sent did not advice hot to align the cutting plane. It only advises how to cut with a plane once you already have an aligned plane. But thanks anyway.