Author Topic: Accuracy of model to meshmixer STL  (Read 174 times)

rgkbmk

• View Profile
Accuracy of model to meshmixer STL
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:54:08 PM »
Newbie here. I am trying to dial in the accuracy of the models I am creating to print . I import an exocad STL file into MeshMixer. Make all my adjustments as needed and export it as a STL file format. I send this off to a company to print on their Stratys Object Eden 260 VS. What I got back was slightly smaller. I veryfied this by scanning and checking the specs against the original file. How can I set up the specs to get better and a more accurate model.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Accuracy of model to meshmixer STL
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:59:20 AM »
What do you mean by "slightly" smaller?
Basically I can imagine two sources of that error:

A: Some rounding error converting file units (meaning: e.g. If you do your file in inches and the printer runs on mm, some rough conversion done by the print company may result in slightly wrong sizes).

B: The right size printed object shrinks after printing . A printer company should know about an expected shrinkage (if there's one) and compensate it by printing slightly bigger. If they do not compensate this, ask them about the shrink factor and compensate it yourself in MM upscaling the file.

I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.