Author Topic: Scaling down Pattern Area?  (Read 267 times)

TURTLE HARDBODY

• View Profile
Scaling down Pattern Area?
« on: July 23, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »
Hi! I'm trying to scale down the pattern as seen in the image below (cylinders) so that they do not touch the side walls. Essentially I want to put holes in the base of the model.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling down Pattern Area?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »
Sorry, using MakePattern: No way but separating the bottom as an separate object, run MakePattern on this and finally merging this result with the walls. As MakePattern remeshes its output, the last merging step might be difficult...

Maybe this might work better in your case (sounds a bit complicated but is quick and easy):
+From MESHMIX/Primitives drop a cylinder as a separate object.
+This cylinder active, run Transform to scale it to the desired hole diameter in X and Z (disable UniformScaling and click on the Size... values to do an numerical input). Set its Y to be bigger than your base's height.
Now translate the cylinder to a "startup" position on your base.
Make sure that the S circle is green (snapping enabled - click it if not) and the A circle is grey (relative translate values). Now dragging an arrow shows snapping increments. While visible use up or down keys on your keyboard to modify the increments. Now, still in Transform drop a duplicate of the cylinder at its startup position. Hit D to do that. Now drag to the next hole's position (e.g. in Z), hit D to drop a duplicate there, drag to the next position in Z aso until you've got one row.
At the last position do not drop a duplicate but Accept Transform.
Now activate all the cylinders and Combine them to to a single "row" object.
On this row object do Transform the same way as we did before to get duplicates , this time in X.
When done Combine all row objects to one.

+ Activate your source object first and after that this combined object (hold Shift while clicking).

+ Now run Boolean difference.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

TURTLE HARDBODY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »
Thanks for the help! Couple of questions:

+This cylinder active, run Transform to scale it to the desired hole diameter in X and Z (disable UniformScaling and click on the Size... values to do an numerical input). Set its Y to be bigger than your base's height.

How do I transform the cylinder using a tool? When I drop the cylinder on the base I can change its dimensions using the "drop solid" dialogue but it won't let me run transform until I place it on the object. When I try transform after dropping the cylinder it does the whole model. Is there a way to keep dropped objects separate from the imported model? I tried looking for it in mesh mixer and searching a bit and couldn't come up with anything.

Now translate the cylinder to a "startup" position on your base.

What do you mean startup position? Perpendicular to the base or something else?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 06:32:33 AM »
In its DropSolid dialog there's a CompositionMode dropdown. Set it to CreateNewObject. If you drop to empty space on your scene now  the cylinder is oriented in Yup and MM switches to Transform automatically.

Yep, startup position of the cylinder should be perpendicular if you want perpendicular holes. But I meant the position where the first hole should be:
e.g if you plan to get 5 holes per row in 3 rows:

a1, a2, a3, a4, a5
b1, b2, b3, b4, b5
c1, c2, c3, c4, c5

Choosing a corner hole (a1, a5 ,c1 or c5) or the middle hole (b3) should be a good startup...
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

TURTLE HARDBODY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:37:29 PM »
That worked great, thanks! If anyone stumbles across this and is having some problems getting their holes to not be jagged edges you have to screw with the quality settings in the top left a bit.

That being said when I actually apply the settings it seems to screw with the base of the model a bit (image 4)? I'm not sure why it can't just make a smooth circle like if I did Boolean subtract with a dropped solid (image 5)?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:42:46 PM by TURTLE HARDBODY »

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:15:09 PM »
Most probably the source's and/or cylinders' mesh density is to low.

On your cylinders you may do SELECT + some selection and Modify/SelectAll
> Edit/Remesh that selection and rise its Density slider

On your source mesh I would do a selection of the base's up- and downside only.
> Edit/Remesh that selection and rise its Density slider. For its's a partial remesh now make sure to allow some Transition. Set its slider at least to one.

That done:
Running BooleanDifference set its SolutionMode to MaxQuality, disable AutoReduceResult and enable UseIntersectionCurves(in Advanced). This way you should get nicer edges.

TURTLE HARDBODY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:48:29 PM »
This worked perfectly, thanks!