Author Topic: Combining two objects, then making solid, keeping original quality?  (Read 525 times)

jonboy545

• View Profile
Hello,

I've started making Lithophane night light covers for friends and family for gifts. I created a very basic "mount" in 123D Design to attach to a cheap Dollar Tree night light. I then take a curved lithophane and attempt to merge the two together. At first I was having issues with them not being solid (see video below) but I found the meshmixer tutorial online of the shark and bat wings. I have been successful in making them solid, but no matter what I do I cannot retain the original lithophane quality. I have it close, but the print is still sub-par compared to the unmodified STL file when printed (same slicer settings, etc).

There seems to be a fine line that I'm crossing in the make solid options that goes from taking a few minutes to re-generate the mesh, to completely locking up my system. It's by no means a "powerhouse" computer. Core i5 with 4GB RAM. Dell Venue 11 Pro Win 10 Tablet/Laptop.

Is there a way to essentially retain the orginal quality when combining two objects, then making solid? Even the little mount piece loses its sharp edges and becomes rounded/jagged when making solid.

I'm trying to find that balance between keeping the lithophane's original quality, and not bringing my computer to its knees.

I've included the video below for reference. Please note this is BEFORE I learned of the make solid feature. So I DO in fact have a functioning printable STL now that is solid with the two merged pieces. My point of the thread is to do this operation, and keep the quality of the lithophane as close to orginal as possible.

Thank you very much for your time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFIOnY9JJ4

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Combining two objects, then making solid, keeping original quality?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 07:34:16 AM »
Instead of Combine+MakeSolid you could try BooleanUnion. Maybe you'e to extrude the lithophane's bottom before doing this and cut off this extrusion afterwards.

In case you use MakeSolid:
You can reproject details of the original (hidden after making it solid) to the MakeSolid result: Make the original a target (activate the magnet icon in object browser) and use SCULPT and its Attract brush or select the region to be projected on the original and run SELECT/Edit/AttractToTarget....
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.