Author Topic: beta 3.1.283  (Read 605 times)

RS

• Meshmixer Product Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
beta 3.1.283
« on: January 23, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
Hello, Meshmixer Community!

This is our first Beta release since Ryan has left Autodesk. We’ve spent some time revitalizing and stabilizing Meshmixer. Kudos to Tyson, Simon, Hali and everyone involved! First of all, defunct 123D functionality is gone, which should improve the performance and eliminate some crashes. Second, the Japanese version of Meshmixer should be now complete. And, of course, there were many crazy bug fixes: http://meshmixer.com/beta.html 
Please give it a try!

We are thinking of releasing another Beta before the next major release of Meshmixer 3.1 because we would like to do more testing iterations with you. In the past few months you’ve reported a good number of bugs, and we’ve tried to fix as many as we can. The more you help us test now, the more bug fixes we can include in the major release. Please remember that Betas are unstable builds that can contain new bugs.

Give this Meshmixer Beta 3.1.283 a thorough spin, especially in the next week or two, and send us your feedback!

When submitting a bug, please include:
  • Steps to reproduce it
  • Your OS version and Meshmixer version
  • Screenshots
  • Your file (if it’s applicable)

Happy Testing!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:24:11 PM by RS »

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: beta 3.1.283
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:09:55 AM »
Minor thing on macOS Sierra:
If you just enter Sculpt and without doing a stroke: Displayed settings do not change pressing Shift as long as you did not start a first stroke. The stroke instead works as expected.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

rizzo242

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »
A few minor bugs with MM 3.1.283 on Windows 10 (non HDI displays in dual monitor setup).

When the MM application window is opened on the non-primary display, the object browser is unable to be moved horizontally across the scene. It can only be resized or repositioned along the vertical axis of the scene. This behaviour does not occur when the application window is opened in full screen on the primary display (the object browser behaves normally).

When remeshing (or reducing) a selection on a model, if you move the mouse to another application window and click to make it active, the mesh and the remesh panel disappear, leaving only the remesh progress bar on top of an empty background (screenshot attached). the process seems to complete normally, but the mesh and pane does not reappear until the operation completes. (once again, this is on a dual monitor setup with the MM window in full screen on the primary display).

gerpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
Hi
I use meshmixer to clean up and retouch large scanned models (several million triangles). I'd like to try this new version, mainly to see if there has been any improvements in the speed : I spend more time waiting for the display to "unfreeze" than actually working on my model. This even when there is no tool in action. I have a very powerful PC, but when the display freezes, there seems to be no load on the ssystem (processor 10%, memory usage low, Geforge GPU close to zero).
I have a project in progress, and I don't want to stop working on it.
Is there a way to install both versions (beta and 3.0) and swithc from one to the other ?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »
Don't know if that's a solution on WIN but works on MAC to keep former versions:

Move the old version to trash;
Install new version;
Restore old version from trash;

Now there are two installations you can run at the same time. There will be Accept license dialogs at startup.
Note: .mix files might not be compatible switching between versions
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

gerpho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
Well thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way on windows.
So finally, I installed the beta, which replaced the 3.0 (11.0), to experiment.

For the things I use MM for, I see no real difference ; speed looks similar, and these "freezing" moments are still there, and drive me crazy (for example I load a model, something like 2Mpolys, textured, once it's fully loaded, use the select tool and select a few patches, I want to change the viewing angle, and suddenly everything freezes for something like 30 seconds or more) Dreadful ! >:(

Oh yes there is one difference, in the beta version I cannot input values with decimal points (in the transform/translate dialog box). I haven't tried anywhere else, but I suspect this is true everywhere. FYI I have a french keyboard, so that decimal point and decimal comma are normaly inverted, the system takes care of that. But here nothing works, neither the numpad point, nor the regular point, nor the comma.

I have re-installed the 3.0 version, and it replaced the beta. The last point is back to normal. Everything else is unchanged.

And the .mix files are compatible.

My system is : Win 7, Corei7-6700 @3.4GHz - 64Gb Ram - TitanX graphics card with 12Gb Ram (and latest driver)

gerpho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »
BTW I'm not sure I posted in the right place, I actually installed version 3.1322, and not 283

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 05:16:42 PM »
Hmm interesting, as said I'm on MAC but I own a similar, weaker hardware.
My MacPro 5.1's ( 2x2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM) GPU was upgraded to a TitanX 12GB.
Currently MM loaded a near 10Mtris OBJ textured at 4096x4096.
Well, things don't work that fast as they do on a low polycount bunny, but there's no freeze or time out navigating the scene.

gerpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:14:29 PM »
The problem might be the textures of the colour scan : when I have 2M polys there are several 8k x 8k texture files (upto 10 or more). Although, when I use an untextured shader, for a textured mesh, the result's the same. I'm not sure what happens when there are no textures at all, I almost never have this case
I can try an make a video screen capture if it helps, but it'll have to wait another week, since I won't be at my offiice at all next week.