Author Topic: mm06 update 3 - colors!  (Read 36720 times)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
mm06 update 3 - colors!
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12548248/meshmixer06_installer_July31.exe
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12548248/meshmixer06_installer_x64_July31.exe

Here's what's new:

1) Move brush operation for VolBrush. This still might not work as good as Move brush in other software, especially if you try to Move large distances. Think of it more like a Nudge. If you need to move something that is close to something else, try un-checking 'Volumetric' in the properties. Or wait for me to do a SurfBrush version.

2) Painting! Both VolBrush and SurfBrush have a painting brush, and SurfBrush also has a color-blending brush (basically a blur brush). Notes:
     - for Paint brush, strength == alpha. For blend/blur brush, strength == amount of blending/blur
     - for SurfBrush, selected texture will be used as the color alpha channel
     - this is **vertex** painting, not texture painting
     - works just like geometry brushing, when you use a small brush, the mesh is refined to be able to show that level of detail
     - (so, you may still need to manage the Refinement settings...)
     - since it's vertex color, you can interleave sculpting and painting
     - significant refinement tends to rough up the edges a bit, as there is no special tuning for color-based refinement. This will improve.

3) PLY import/export with vertex color support. DAE export also now supports vertex colors.

4) bugfixes, etc. Hole filling should be a lot more robust/non-crashy. Also various other crashes should be avoided now.

You can use MeshLab to do a (lossy) conversion between texture and vertex colors (both ways).
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: mm06 update 3 - colors!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:54:38 AM »
Wow! Looks really cool..

gonna check it out..  ;D

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:36 AM »
First of all this is really neat and totally unexpected!
(you really need to get layers going!!  W00t!   :P )

Ok, i have a question right out of the gate..

why can we only use the base material to paint on?

would be cool if we could paint an overlay over other materials and use their properties etc..

--------------------

OK.. another thing.. the "strength slider" for the Paint brush needs help..  

it doesnt seem to do anything until it gets to about 40% or so.. (And you really need to turn it down to like 4-5% to do a good fade)
you should start seeing noticeable results around 70% strength, and 25%-50% is usually where its right for a good fade..  

right now 100%-50% or even lower is all the same
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:25:51 AM by HolyEnigma74 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:16 AM »
ummm..

you know what.. on second look..
its probably ok.. it could be adjusted a little, if it not to difficult..
(i just realized that you have refine parameters on the paint brush tool... i'm wondering if those should off by default"unchecked"
if someone had a model and all detailed they wanted to do was paint it and they lost all the detail they would be like wtf..
maybe for that paintbrush tool put an "info box" saying "click refine checkbox for high detail painting".. or something)

-------------

Oh BTW, is that really your elephant?  ;D

Nathan77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:22:05 AM »
Thank you, RMS! Color makes my life so much easier! I often use photoscans from my3dscanner and now I can almost directly (still a bit of Meshlab is needed) import .ply mesh with vertex color. Editing and sculpting with MM now is even more fun. Colors just give me great guidelines.
See what I have to deal with before (BW obj – even tough to see what it is) and after (color ply - nice Chinese tea house):

I haven’t tried actual painting (I have just imported colors from my3dscanner) and extended brush features but they look great!

DAE export doesn’t seem to work… Not a big deal.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:11:41 AM by Nathan77 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:07:43 AM »
i have meshlab installed..
can it make a texture that can be imported into Blender??
If so how do you do it?

I tried importing the dae file into Blender and no Color shows up.

Nathan77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 06:27:11 AM »
To Enigma74:

My usual workflow for a scan (not for a model from scratch) is:
Scan with a camera, process at my3dscanner com and get color .ply point cloud and b/w .obj mesh there for free.
Transfer "vertex color" from .ply to .obj and save as .ply mesh in Meshlab.
(above procedure is from my3dscanner site, find details there)
Import color .ply in Meshmixer or in Blender (see the same .ply in Blender attached).
In principle it is possible to transfer "vertex color" (in reality it is "fecets color") into a texture using parametrization tool in Meshlab, but it's tricky. I never do it, I use color .ply directly in Blender and now in Meshmixer which is great news!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:18:41 AM by Nathan77 »

marcuswilm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
Hi RMS,  :) , Thank you very much for this great update of your wonderful meshmixer 6. Congratulations for this birth in your home. I wish happiness and prosperity to your family.
You are giving so much of yourself to this growing community of 3d artists (some of them are very advanced and others like me are simply newbies enjoying such a pleasant software).

Recently I received a mail from Sculptris Team. Yes, I must admit it, there are many similarities between their new version and your Meshmixer.
I wrote them this (not sure they could read my mail) :

Hi to Sculptris Team :-)

I just received your newsletter in my mailbox. Excellent presentation !

Sculptris Alpha 6 is much better than the previous version and I sincerely
thank you for giving this release for free.
I'm a retired programmer and thanks to softwares like Sculptris and some
others, I discovered the pleasure of 3D designing.

As you know, there are several softwares that could be compared to Sculptris.
The great master being Zbrush.

3D sculpting to obtain a realistic figure is very difficult even with training and
tutorials.

And I want to explain my idea. Perhaps am I thinking to something that already
exists.

I would like to see a 3D sculpting software that would be able to simulate the
real work of a cabinetmaker (it's not the best word to explain my idea) ,
of a stone-cutter or of a ceramist.

On this link, you can see pictures that could better explain my idea :

http://laurence.faraut.pagesperso-orange.fr/sculpture/oeuvres_basrelief.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In fact my idea relates to :

1/ the tools :
3D softwares are now so powerful and processors so fast that I can imagine the
ability to transform relatively abstract tools like mouse arrows, cross, gizmo's by more
realistic tools like a knife, chisel, saw, hammer, etc.

2/ the 3d material :
I would like to see the material reacting in real time like stone, wood, steel, aluminium, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a nice day.

Coming back in this post ...
As I wrote there, sculpting with a mouse and/or scrolling in menus to find and use tools is not the best way to simulate real sculpting.
Of course, it's so easy to lay down some ideas. Analysis and programming is much more difficult.
And Sincerely, I think you're a kind of intellectual superman to perform such heavy work like the development of Meshmixer.

That the force be always with you, RMS !  :)

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »
I just downloaded the new build (a very appreciated surprise, I must add 8)) and I played with it's new tools a little. ;D
The new color tools are interesting, anyway HolyEnigma74 got a point there, it would be cool to be able to use shaders other than the default one. About the refine/reduce section I don't really think it's that big of a deal: I mean, it works just like any other tool so using it is not more risky than usual for anyone.
I found annoyng the color window, though: it always loses the position of the last color selected anytime you open it; right now the only way to prevent that from happening is to store any color you think it could be of any use, but I don't find this solution very comfortable. It would be good to have it remember the last position or to have a color picker to take it from the current color rectangle among the tools in the main interface.
I was wondering... exactly, what is the difference between the new move brush and the first brush? ???

Nathan77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:28:16 AM »
I think hievryman is very right, a color picker/pipette would be very handy, particularily for me as a scanning guy. I have color holes to fill with known color.

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
hieveryone, yea you are right about the "color pallet" it needs to be in a "dock or in a tab"
that pop-up is pretty annoying..  
OR have that color pallet re-sizeable and a floating window that can be anchored(or always on top,
similar to how gimp operates, i know its not the best solution)

And yes it needs a color picker, so we can pick a color off the model

I was wondering... exactly, what is the difference between the new move brush and the first brush?

They are basically the same(the Move brush has, Refine,reduce and Smooth turned off/set to 0 to preserve details while moving volumes/surfaces)

you can get the same effect with he drag brush by turning down the refine, smooth, reduce settings,
 but this way you aren't constantly switching settings back and forth.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:50:13 PM by HolyEnigma74 »

stuovision

• View Profile
    • stuovision
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 03:19:08 PM »
Thanks for this Ryan,Meshmixer is really moving along.Keep up the good work.I only discovered the  "materials" I0 minutes ago, were they in last weeks update, Im sure they were not there last week.

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »
Color palette sp? mockup suggestion. with color picker.  

<---click for large image
Actually when you remove the window border and re-size it its about 56% to get it to line up with the other tools. :)
anyhow..  :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:02:03 PM by HolyEnigma74 »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 04:30:22 PM »
the color dialog is a stock Qt color dialog, so I don't have a lot of control over how it looks/acts. I should be able to initialize it with the current color, though. I just threw it in there to have some way to pick colors, it definitely needs some work.

And yea, a pick-color-from-model tool is definitely needed. That should be relatively easy.

painting on materials, multiple paint layers, etc, are all possible, just need to develop the support...

One issue for the 'strength' slider as alpha is that, for SurfBrush, the strength is per-stamp. So if the stamp spacing is small, even with a low strength it will saturate very quickly. I need to tune this a bit...

Move Brush: currently just Drag w/ no refinement. But I will be modifying it to actually be more like Move in other tools, because Drag will 'lose' vertices as you pull through space, where Move should be a fixed ROI.

stuovision: the materials have been there for quite a while. Just not in any of the youtube videos yet.

Nathan77: cool! The initial motivation for color support was to be able to import/fix/export meshes created from 3D scans. The painting tools were just gravy =)

created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
Wow, wow and again wow

using auto mesh refinement to increase a color-data-resolution too !

simply brilliant

GUIs may be polished, workflows may be streamlined but AFAIK: this is a brandnew idea!

Congrats!
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.