Author Topic: mm06 update 2  (Read 32980 times)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
mm06 update 2
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
A quick update to fix some things that I know are bothering a lot of people:

1) hotkeys now work as advertised. I was mis-using Qt and didn't realize it. Fixed. Also new hotkeys (i for invert selection, ctrl-i for invert-connected, etc - surf the menus and you will find them)

2) select-all hotkey ctrl-A

3) can now accept in 3 ways - 'a', space, enter     (probably I will deprecate the a hotkey, but I am so used to it that I can't just get rid of it right away =)  ((also if someone has a suggestion for how to indicate the hotkey, that would be nice. Currently I use 'Accept/a' in the item, but 'Accept/space' is too long and obviously 'Accept/ ' is just confusing...)

4) Extract tool. This is kind of like Extrude, but it makes a copy instead of offsetting the existing surface. Useful for making layered things (clothing, etc)

5) lock-ups in Erase tool should be fixed now

get it here (windows only):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12548248/meshmixer06_installer_July23.exe
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12548248/meshmixer06_installer_x64_July23.exe
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: mm06 update 2
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:29:02 PM »
Dude you are the Man!

here is another mockup o was working while you were busy with another build!!! LMAO!!

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:33:42 PM »
Now, we have select all.. do we have a "hide" function?
would be nice to hide parts(eyesballs for example) then select all, etc..

It just really needs layers. 3D-Coat/Photoshop style.  you have room at the bottom right  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:24:59 AM by HolyEnigma74 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »
arrggg...

we need to  be able to SelectALL(Ctrl/A) while in "global Mode"(with nothing selected)
thats the point of a quick key!  ;D nothing is selected, Ctrl+A all is selected..  ;D
then we can use the transform tool to move it, scale it etc..,

how it is now we have to select a little bit, then select all.. thats an extra step..

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:02:30 AM »
Ok, im making separate posts.. to document different issues.. i hope you dont mind..

Extract is awesome! could you make a new tool
(Extract&Extrude) , because thats what people are going to be doing mostly..
have the tool soon as you press accept and its done extracting,
it automatically switchesover to the extrude diag. toolbox for offsets distance.

And we need an "Accept button" that should be the last item on the tool properties list.. (I know "a/space/enter are shortcuts)
the button would still be nice to have close, since we are moving the sliders anyhow the accept button would be handy if it was close by.    

Ohhh.. And About the the Sliders.. Would it be possible to make it so we can input specific values with the keyboard?
right now its kinda tricky sometimes to get exactly what you want.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:30:05 AM by HolyEnigma74 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:53:16 AM »
another request..

over by the symmetry button could you have a check box to (show/hide symmetry line)?
or better yet have a transparency slider so we can set it to the value we want
(and we could set it to 0 and it would be off 9 all the way up etc.. or on off is fine too)

Or you could put it in the "view" menu at the top.. (Toggle symmetry line "Whatever Keymap") whatever..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:56:34 AM by HolyEnigma74 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:50:30 AM »
Another thing that is critical.

Snap to nearest Axis.

or do it exactly like in Blender with the number pad being the views 5 key toggles orthographic/perspective(in all views)

Keypad 1 (Front) (ctrl +1 Back)
Keypad 3 (Right) (Crrl + 3 Left)
KeyPad 7 (Top) (Ctrl + 7 Bottom)

but a "snap to nearest Axis" would be handy.
(and we need the Front, Left, Right, Top, etc, displayed somewhere on the screen.. obviously.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:52:41 AM by HolyEnigma74 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »
oh and one thing to look forward to is layers.. would look like this..

You can either make the Extract tool, extract to a new layer or stay on the current layer. :)

Or just make a new "Tool" called something else that essentially does the same thing but moves to a separate layer

(Extract to New Layer)

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
found an easily replicable bug(not sure if it has been reported before)

Import bunny
View/ Next View *****crash*****

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »
Another Cool feature that would be cool would be Booleans(Add/Subtract maybe Difference if its easy to do..)

Boolean Add and Subtract for sure......
(we Already know its possible for boolean Add/Subtract since you have the bridge tool, and erase&Fill it just needs to be implemented..)

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 12:52:16 PM »
Another easy "Wishlist" item..

"Restore to Default" button in the tool box for brushes..

Also..

We need a propper "Move" brush..
its similar to drag but with Reduce0, smooth0 (it preserves details while moving.. )
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:55:00 PM by HolyEnigma74 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »

A little update to interface mockup, layers and falloffs on the right side(i just took those boxes from the GIMP and renamed the one to Falloffs  ;D )

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! That's a lot of things...

1) I'm not a fan of putting a list of actions on the left. It doesn't scale and I don't like having people have to learn to scroll to select menu items (that is very odd). I know 3DCoat looks like this, but it is very non-intuitive from a usability standpoint (ie hard for novices to learn).

2) Move brush, definitely agree, I will try to do that one...

3) you can restore to defaults on brushes by clicking on the little rectangle in the properties headers (the black backrounds)

4) next-view bug is known...I thought I fixed it though...guess not

5) *robust* booleans are kinda hard. Definitely not "easy", anyway.

6) global select-all will work

7) layers are tricky...do you mean "separate-object" layers? or detail layers, like in mudbox? It is not possible to do detail layers with a dynamic mesh.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »
First of all, i'm surprised that you take the time to answer questions and actually want feedback
to move this forward.. ::thumbs up::

now onto the stuff..

3) you can restore to defaults on brushes by clicking on the little rectangle in the properties headers (the black backrounds)

Wow!!! an added feature !! LMAO!!!  sweet!!! ummm somehow it needs to be more "visible"? better button icon maybe??? not sure..
You gotta make this thing run like butter for the person that open it up for the first time.. for users that have never heard of MeshMixer before..
he/she needs to be in complete control of it,know what everything is and does, etc..
 thats what makes or breaks an app.. and why Sculptris is so popular, a nice little Cheat Cheat like Sculptris or Blender Guru's would be nice too after ya get all that sorted out)

4) next-view bug is known...I thought I fixed it though...guess not

Yea.. now if you

import bunny
Previous View
Next View
***Crash***

5) *robust* booleans are kinda hard. Definitely not "easy", anyway.

I think it would be possible. :) you can do it. If you can Bridge, And Cut holes..
you can do booleans, its just a matter of locating the intersection/selection.  ;D (yea right.. its simple hehehe)

6) global select-all will work

You have to press S first..  ::)

7) layers are tricky...do you mean "separate-object" layers? or detail layers, like in mudbox? It is not possible to do detail layers with a dynamic mesh.
Just simple layers, maybe something like 3d-Coat had in the Voxel room
(they have lots of options we dont need all that stuff, but some of it would be nice, merge layer etc.. )

Just simple layers to separate objects to be able to shape parts and sculpt things..

------

Say you was sculpting a girl :)
and you decide to put clothes on her.. this is what happens now.

you have the nice full body sculpt front of you, you extract&extrude Pants and shirt for the woman..

now you want to use the "Move" Brush just to pull the shirt down a little bit on her body,
 but you dont want to effect the other parts..(And you want to keep everything symmetrical)
Right now we have no Hide, the only options is to save the file..
select the pants and body discard them, move the shirt how you want it(save it), then remport the body and pants..

It would be so much easier if the shirt and pants were extracted to separate layers to begin with  
you would have free roam over each piece selected in the layers panel without effecting the other one..
would be totally sweet. If you just want to give her bell bottoms,
select the pants layer select the bottom part of the pants transform it whatver and it wont messup the feet and legs.. etc..  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:22:55 PM by HolyEnigma74 »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:51:08 PM »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^ See the layers..  ;D

Just the ability to separate objs, to different layers
(maybe merge objects layers,
like for instance say if you have the eyeballs on separate layers and you want them on the same layer you can merge the two layers together, etc)

Move objs up and down in the stack
(not really sure if that would be necessary or not right now,
 but it might useful if you get lots of parts into a scene so you dont have to scroll a bunch, to find the obj you're looking for)

Oh yea..
 it would still be great to have an option to hide the symmetry line(and still he in symmetry mode),
or maybe have an option of different lines to choose from... maybe one that is less obtrusive more transparent, less bright
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:40:53 PM by HolyEnigma74 »