Author Topic: my hardest post  (Read 3432 times)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
my hardest post
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »
Hello MM forumites, it is with great sadness that I must tell you that I am no longer an employee of Autodesk. Because of this, I am also no longer able to continue developing Meshmixer.

I left Meshmixer in capable hands, of people who see it's value and do not want it to disappear. I don't know exactly what they are going to do with Meshmixer in the future, and it is out of my hands. As some of you might have noticed, aspects of Meshmixer have made their way into Autodesk Fusion 360, which remains free for students, educators, schools, hobbyists, and small startups.

I released the first version of Meshmixer in 2009. The past 7 years have been an amazing journey, in large part due to the members of this forum. Many features and tools in Meshmixer came as a direct result of discussions we have had here. Today, Meshmixer has been downloaded over a million times, and is used every day by thousands of people across the world, from elementary students to doctors who literally use it to save lives. This would never have happened without your support.

I want to be 100% clear, leaving Autodesk and Meshmixer was my decision. I took Meshmixer as far as I could take it. It is time for me to do something new. I think you will like it!

This forum will continue to exist for the foreseeable future, although the domain may change to http://meshmixerforum.com/. I will not really be able to keep up with the posts here, I will be very busy on my new project. But you can reach me on twitter @rms80 or my personal website http://www.rms80.com.

Thanks for everything!!
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: my hardest post
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »
Bad day for this forum, all makers and I think for Autodesk too.

No need to say I'm sorry. Right, I had an interesting, always surprising time with you and your baby too. Thank you Ryan!!
Now the miracle of modern times, a developer listening to users, ended for MM.
Those who keep MM's future in hands now have a hard job.
I'd like to appeal to them to do their best. MM is a too powerful bundle of tools to be smashed into code particles finding their ways to one or another app.

Now, for my person:
I supported this project relying on RMS and our confidence on each other. RMS gave me the credit to be an admin here.
Now I don't know some roadmap or any official person to contact. Until some official guy contacts me and explains MM's future to me I've to pause my involvement here.

Gunter

I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

GlennReimche

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:22:33 PM »
Christian Pramuk, Product Manager, Autodesk, has posted on this forum and would seem like a good place to start.

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 02:02:47 PM »
Oh no, I hope this is not sad news for MeshMixer. Thanks for all your hard work, you have left us with a wonderful gift, I enjoy using MeshMixer a lot.

Good luck with your new project!

Dracon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 06:32:53 PM »
This is truly sad news today. Meshmixer is an absolute must in my 3d and 3d printing workflows, I can't work without it. I hope Autodesk doesn't leave it die like Pixologic did with Sculptris. There is so much room for improvement.

Anyways. It's your decision and we should respect it. Seven years is a long time and you did a fantastic job with Meshmixer. Thank you for all your effort in these years, and I want to wish you good look with your new projects!

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 06:01:24 AM »
Well if Autodesk wants to continue development of MeshMixer I only know of one person who knows just about everything there is to know:

MagWeb/Gunter

This forum and MeshMixer would be in great hands with him..

nkloski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 11:26:55 PM »
Sadly, I don't think the new stewards of MM really care that much about the community.  I have reached out to them (I am NOT MagWeb level, but I did create a 18+ hour course on MM, as well as put MM in a whole chapter in my book) a couple of times, but they chose not to respond.  I will not speak for MagWeb, but from what he has said on this board, until the devs reach out to him, he will not help people here any more.  Aaaannd...there are very few assistance replies by MagWeb recently, so I can only think that the new devs have not reached out to him either :(  Frustrating@!

People like MagWeb and others on this board really help bring MM to new people, and I sincerely hope that with the "announced decoupling of MM from 123D" that this really special technology does not fall by the wayside.

RS

• Meshmixer Product Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
We've reached out to Nkloski, MagWeb and a few other Meshmixer power users. We are all good now! :)
If you feel like I missed you please let me know.

And get ready for the awesome news!

nkloski

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
Yep, the MM team did reach out to me, and has been responsive to the (very few) bugs I found in the beta version...and MagWeb is more active here again, so that alone is cause for celebration!  :)   I look forward to more MM goodness for this great piece of technology!