Author Topic: MagWeb: Mixed Meshes  (Read 86367 times)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: MagWeb: Mixed Meshes
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »
dude that is so amazing...are there booleans in there too? Or is that all extrude/transform?
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
Sorry, there is only one boolean: I added a sphere to the facescan for I´m no skinhead and hair is very hard to scan.
I´ll examine booleans later.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »
no worries, I was just curious. Some of the little piston/hydraulic things, I thought maybe they were added in with booleans...can't figure out how you got those with extrude+transform =)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »
Just the enemy the Gnome warrior is going to fight.

Again all done in MM except: forcing symmetry (for dragging/dropping parts and transformation does not support symmetry now and I was to lazy to do the same thing twice), adding different materials to the partial objects, rendering.

This time I made a lot of use of dragging and dropping parts (there are about 170 drops on one half)
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
aaahhh this is so insanely cool. Awesome that the d-n-d is actually working for you...I have always wondered if that was something people were actually going to find a use for . Clearly the answer is yes =).

Can you give me a sense of how many hours are going into these things? gnome / terminator / dragon?

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »
Really cool, congratz. 8)
Did you used the D'nD method you suggested in the other thread to make the the chain?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »
Thanks,

Yes, the chain was done that way. I didn´t stretch the whole selection of the ring circle but transformed only one half of it though.
Then I dropped this part maybe 8 times and made this result a new part - just to speed up things.

IMO this concept of dropping parts is ideal to get equal details. I even used a tooth part to do the teeth as well. There happened some crashes - think for the dropped elements were a bit to big... Be sure to save frequently

Cann´t say anymore how long I did on the Gnome - and there were tooooo much possibilities to discover, some workflow ideas ended up in an dead end...
The Terminator was done within 24hours - guess about 10 hours in total (including some time to reopen strange files - as reported and fixed)?
The Dragon started last Monday and was finished Sunday evening as a spare time project - guess 3 hours a day > 21 hours in total.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:16:19 PM by MagWeb »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »
Wow that seems crazy fast to me...although I guess that is because I cannot even imagine getting to that level of skill with sculpting...too busy coding! =)

Patrick3D

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
How was the bump map/texturing done and did it take you awhile? And would you please screen shot or something the pieces you used, just curious to how you used them to make that.
Patrick Daniels

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 06:29:50 PM »
There´s no bumpmap. All this bumpmap-like looking is real geometry, done using MMs surface brushes.
There´s no texture, only different materials applied on the different partial objects and rendering using AmbientOcclusion (done in a third party app). This was a thing of only a few minutes.
Here are the d&d parts I used to do the dragon. All done in MM using extrusion/transform, smoothing and a few VolBrush strokes.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »
Finally, this is why this little warrior fights the dragon...

All sculpting done in MM starting from a sphere (AO rendering (image 2 & 3) done in a 3rd party app)

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 09:08:47 AM »
Outstanding! 8) I like the girl ;D;
Also nice work on the details for the column and the floor, very good piece overall. ;)

Did you sculpted her directly in pose or you started doing a t-pose basemesh and sculpted her after posing the base? And how did you managed the pieces without the hide function?
Now that there is the objects selection it's a little easier to deal with parts, but to me it's still a nightmare when I have to work on various elements close to each other...

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
Thanks, glad you like it :)

I sculpted her partially in pose: I started with a d&d dummy to get the rough pose. After rough sculpting out body, arms and legs I cut of hands and head to move them to brush symmetry in a different scene. Done sculpting these parts I imported them back, positioned and stitched them using the zipper and join tool.

Boots, armor,hair aso were extracted/separated/extruded from the body mesh the same way as I did it with the Gnome. The holes in the armor parts were done on the extracted surfaces before extruding them.

Yes, a HideObject and/or GhostObject would be nice, totally agree! (maybe with some "show/hide" icon in the scene browser - similar to Meshlabs layer list). Here I handled this by exporting when I had to work on "covered" areas.
Also to lower the memory load in the scene, I exported all stuff as separate OBJs and loaded only the stuff I needed in the current state of sculpting. (BTW: Wouldn´t a limited number of Undos save resources - not sure)

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
Quite tricky, but it was totally worth it. Congratz. ;)

About the memory for the undo, if I remember correctly you can change the parameters from the meshmixer.ini on the appdata folder. Maybe it's worth some test.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »
yea the ini file has a memory limit for undo...I think by default it is 250MB?

Awesome model, again =). I particularly like the hair and feathers. It is interesting to see how you use the individual triangles to make detail in the feathers...