Author Topic: MagWeb: Mixed Meshes  (Read 89353 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MagWeb: Mixed Meshes
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
My 3D version of Jean Jullien's "Peace for Paris" (posted at Instagram: https://instagram.com/p/-CvRmhhFJP/)

Print it! Wear it! Share it! - Download PfP.stl below

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:17:06 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

Philo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Philohome website
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2015, 03:24:19 AM »
Thanks MagWeb!
Philo

GrantTPC

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »
And here would be the the first thing to test:

Some hinge solution which should be printable in one go.
Its idea is not to use a straight axis but to split it into two halts which will be connected via a snapping dowel. The axis cylinder will never touch the hinge's wings, but each part of the axis carries two cone shapes which fit into the counter parts of the hinge's wings.
In its print position this allows a big gab to remove support material but allows to print it "already mounted". After that procedure one only has to press the dowel into its female shape to make the cones fit into its counter part with no (or only some needed) gab.
All but the dowel could be of stiff material.
Do you think stuff like tat is doable?
The current design owns no gab at all between cones and counter part in their snapped position. This might need some force to bend the hinge. But one could easily make that easier increasing the distance between the "snapping plane" and the cones - depends on the material....

Would be also interesting how small this design might work...

EDIT: Needless to say: No CAD - all construction done in Meshmixer.

wait what?! 

How did you get such clean shapes, angles, cuts and edges?  I've been using MM mainly as a "freehand organic sculpt" tool   and if i need "geometric" i usually jump out to some form of CAD software is there a thread i missed that you could point me to with your techniques? Obviously I am under-utilizing MM.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
@ the hinge
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
Sorry, no compressive thread on constructive modeling in Meshmixer yet...
Quite a number of tools used here. Could be a long discourse...
Maybe you'll open a thread where we could run through several questions one by one? Would be much easier for me...

Just some teaser:
This hinge started with a cylinder (MESHMIX/Primitives).
Next thing was to GenerateFaceGroups (lateral surface and upper and lower plane).
Main strategy:With a plane group selected run SELECT/Deform/Transform. Moving or scaling the selection adds regularly tessellated new groups... Enabling the little S circle (click it > gets green if active) makes the operation snap to increments (up/down arrows keys to define these increments). This gives precise control.
Also usefull:
- SELECT/Deform/SoftTransform (FlatTransition) to translate/scale existing faces without adding faces.
+
+
+
+

Give it a try with wireframe on ("W") and color mode set to group colors. You'll quickly realize the basics.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:29:25 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
Santa's coming...

Solid one-surface model is here:http://www.123dapp.com/MeshMixer/Santas-comming/4895364
Warning: It's at 1000K tris. Download may last some minutes.

(as usual: all but advanced rendering done in Meshmixer)