Author Topic: MagWeb: Mixed Meshes  (Read 89355 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MagWeb: Mixed Meshes
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »
Hi,

here´s a first small result made just for fun to test all those new tools and their behaviour.

No mesh mixing but all done in MeshMixer starting from a sphere

EDIT: Attachments are only visible for logged in members. Shouldn´t images be visible for guests, too?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:09:58 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: MagWeb: Mixed Meshes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »
holy shit! that is awesome! posted in website gallery...
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »
Thanks RMS!

Here´s just another one...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:10:23 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »
nice! I like the hair...guess you have figured out that the Drag Brush =)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
yes, the drag brush is my best friend, as it acts like modeling real clay.

If one drags some part A of the mesh near towards another mesh part B, part B will be dragged too when it gets to near. Could dragging be improved to affect only the first mesh part A?

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »
It is something I will add, although you might be surprised at how frequently you don't want it to work that way =)

For example, if B moves then you can do things like start dragging off in space, towards the model, to create dents, etc. Also there are some effects that are extremely hard to get if B is not dragged too. Basically if B isn't dragged you will get a lot more mesh self-intersections, etc.

Anyway for some of the other volume brushes, I want it to behave that way, so drag brush will get it too. Although in general this kind of thing is better handled by surface brushes, which I will be adding too.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »
Nice to hear,

well, "dents" inspired that one:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:10:46 AM by MagWeb »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
I like it! How many triangles does that one have?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »
557120 tris - I didnt care about the poly count so far, for simultanious reduction keeps it under control.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
Here´s just some test loading scan data

loading a 369,3 MB obj to MeshMixer. That´s an over-defined Mesh for sure (I`d go to a reduction tool as soon as possible) but it is a pure fusion result comming fresh from the scanner app and good stuff for a stress test.

Well, it works: you see the polycount in the lower left.

You´ve to be patient working on the mesh, sure (i get a framerate of about 1fps, on my IMAC which is late 2006). I added the face and the ear in meshmixer.

Attached also a rendering of the scan in another software just to get an idea of the details.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »
wow that is pretty heavy-duty. On my laptop I still get better framerates, but yea it is still bogging down at that kind of triangle count. Needs work =)

Anyway, very cool that it worked!

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 05:33:54 PM »
Here´s a meshmix using 4 different scans:

Models for scanning:
Horse by Bully;
Wings of a dragon model by Papo;
Mutant upper body by Papo;
Tail by Warhammer 40*000;

Had to reduce the scanned mesh quite a bit to get them accepted as MM parts, which meant some lost details.
Quick test of the new paint feature.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
Nice!  If you can send me the files I can try to fix the part problems.  But also, did you consider using ZipperEdge brush and then welding? Not as automatic, but it might be easier if you want to basically just stitch rigid parts together...

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
Here's a WIP

I´d not plan to show at this state, but it was made with the tools of MM 07 December update.
For we got a new great version today, just to show my results with the previous one:

Except some primitive sources (plane geometries as circle and square with different tris geometry), three times forcing symmetry of the body and the final rendering, ALL was made in MM

Updates comming...

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
!!!! wow that is really spectacular. Really, really awesome. I am stunned.

Frankly I would not have guessed that this was possible in meshmixer! =)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:37:29 PM by RMS »