Author Topic: Mesh Quality Drastically Reduced on Export  (Read 2746 times)

Arielcz

• View Profile
Mesh Quality Drastically Reduced on Export
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
Hello. I am working on 3D Scans of Baroque cathedrals and am looking to print several ornamental features at high quality. However, when I export my mesh from mexhmixer, the quality is drastically reduced. It looks as if the model is being contour along the x-axis.

Here is the original model:
http://imgur.com/o8ohCYU
And here is a .STL export back in meshmixer:
http://imgur.com/fTrhRCv

Is there any way to solve this?
Any help is appreciated.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mesh Quality Drastically Reduced on Export
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 01:30:21 PM »
Hey, that's really strange but reminds me on some problem I had running MM via command prompt on OSX.  See:http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?topic=1738.msg3770#msg3770
The reason was that my German settings on OSX used the colon as the decimal separator and running MM via Terminal flipped full stops to colons and vice versa. So the opened file was read with colons which is no separator MM understands. So values behind the separator were ignored which results in that blocky style.
Guess there's something similar happening on your system. Which decimal separator is used in your localisation? In case of OSX you can set it in the system's preferences/Language&Region/FurtherOptions. Set it to use a full stop as decimal separator.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

Arielcz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
Thanks for the response. Looks like the problem you had is very similar. I looked into the decimal separator used in my OS and it is currently set to full stop. These are my current settings:
http://imgur.com/fLP8zIH
I am using Windows 10.
Another thing to note is that this isn't happening with every file. If I export the bunny this issue does not occur. It only happens with meshes I bring in from ReMake.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
Could you post a small ReMake file here or somewhere?

BTW: You can upload stuff as images or other attachments here expanding AdditionalOptions on the PostReply form.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »
Which format do you use to export from ReMake?

Arielcz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
I'm exporting as .OBJ from remake with 0% decimation. I tried .STL (even though it gets rid of the textures), and the problem persists.
I included a link with a sample meshmixer file. Another thing to note is that I tried to perform the same export on a MacBook running Windows 10 and got the same result.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24905985/Angel%20Face.mix

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:54:36 AM »
Thanks for the file. I can reproduce your issue here. Now it's just to find its reason...

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 06:28:49 AM »
Hmm...
It doesn't need an export to make strange things happen:

The mesh is far off the origin. If I EDIT/Align its center to world's origin Yup also creates such stairsteps. Even worse: Rendering seems to be out of order too:
Wireframe and surface intersect each other, Transform-widget is completely distorted see screenshot).

If I add an object to the scene (e.g. the sphere) it gets such stair deformations on reimport too (no matter if combined to the angel or not).

Think this is something for the bug reports. I'll move it...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:03:20 AM by MagWeb »

Arielcz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »
Is the mesh file inherently corrupt then? I get the same result when exporting any portion of the full model from remake. Are there maybe settings in ReMake that would resolve this?
And I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Arielcz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »
By the way, I am able to 3D print in full quality by sending to my Makerbot directly through meshmixer. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with exporting as a mesh.

Arielcz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »
I am now able to export a mesh without the loss of quality but I have to use a workaround. By using the 3D printing function within meshmixer, i can use the export button there to export the mesh at full quality.

sjrowla4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »
Hello

After trawling through the internet trying to find my Meshmixer issue this thread discusses the most similar results I'm seeing.

I'm a hydrographic processor and routinely processing multibeam echo-sounder data of the seafloor and recently we have been surveying some shipwrecks. The data we receive is high density point cloud [xyz] and our goal is to take the recent shipwreck scans and 3D print them to provide further accessibility to our clients. We would also like to be able to bring the meshed object into a 3D sculpting program [Meshmixer, ZBrush, MudBox, 3D Coat] to visualise the shipwreck in colour. To do this we need a fully enabled meshed object from the shipwreck xyz.

Firstly, let me try to explain my workflow. The xyz data is exported as a 0.5m resolution grid using our processing software then exported as an ASCII [xyz] file for further analysis. I have taken this ASCII into CloudCompare and have meshed it successfully [I have attempted to mesh it in MeshLab but have had limited success]. The CloudCompare mesh is then exported as an .OBJ file and then imported into Meshmixer for sculpting and adding colour. I have done this and seen some great results [within Meshmixer - see Image 1] but my problem occurs when I export the mesh from Meshmixer and Import it into other software [MeshLab, SketchFab, ZBrush, MudBox, 3D Coat]. The exported .OBJ seems like it has been split into uniform contoured slices and I see the same pattern happening when imported into any of the mentioned software [Please see image 2].

http://i.imgur.com/tK8ly28.png    - Image 1

http://i.imgur.com/LUlC6tF.png    - Image 2

It is baffling me why this is happening and how Meshmixer can display such a clean high quality mesh but all the other software seem to be displaying the uniform contoured slice effect.

Please can someone shine a light on this for me? I feel as though it could be something fairly straightforward that I'm missing/not doing!

andrewdroth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »
I'm seeing the same thing.

A little backstory, I'm trying to create a color 3D print of a concrete base.

The model was created in Recap360, and exported to Remake. In Remake it was cropped, scaled.

From there it was imported into Meshmizer, extruded to give it thickness, made into a solid to transfer the color to the vertices, then exported as a *.WRL file.

The model is then uploaded to Shapeways.

The first model I made worked well, and I was able to get a small 3D color print made. After this test, I told a client I could deliver 3D prints.

Now I'm trying to export a different model, and I cannot get the export to work after scaling the model. I can however get it to work from the print environment, but I cannot export it as a file type that saves color.

See the Imgur album here for pictures.
https://imgur.com/a/MAbgg

Did this maybe change in a newer release?
How do the version numbers (ex 11.0.544) relate to the release numbers on the downloads page (ex. 3.0.1)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 04:13:29 PM »
Don't use Transform to scale the object down, use the Units/Scale tool (under Analysis) to change the dimensions of the object.

The problem you are both seeing is due to the different floating-point conversions that are happening. Essentially you are running out of precision and so the coordinates are being quantized to integer values during the export.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

andrewdroth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 12:35:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I'm no longer getting OBJ export issues using the Units to scale.

But I'm still finding my VRML export is blocky. I did notice this before as well, the only difference was if the OBJ export was blocky, the VRML export would be very blocky.

Now that the OBJs are exporting right, the VRML exports are only slightly blocky. But since it's the only color format I can get to work nicely with Shapeways, I'd like to sort it out.

Here it what the new scaled OBJ file looks like on Shapeways.

And here it what the new scaled VRML file looks like on Shapeways.

Any ideas?