Author Topic: How do I connect these two shells?  (Read 1041 times)

WhichwayJanus

• View Profile
How do I connect these two shells?
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:56:47 AM »
I got here by cutting out the middle of a longer object and moving the pieces closer together. I'm new at this, but my understanding is that I now have two shells of one mesh. How do I make the obvious connection between them? When I try Join or Tube Handle or anything else I've managed to find, the connecting section is severely distorted. What am I missing?

rizzo242

• View Profile
Re: How do I connect these two shells?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 03:13:13 AM »
Did you export this object from a solid modeling program? The triangles that makeup your mesh are highly elongated / irregular - this tend to make MM freak out a bit. I would start by remeshing both parts. Check out http://www.mmmanual.com/edit-remesh/ for details. When you get to the the remesh menu try to increase the triangle density and make sure the "preserve sharp boundaries" checkbox is activated (you may also need to play with the sharp threshold to get a good result). Try to use Tube Handle / Join after that.

If remeshing gives you trouble for some reason you could also play around with the "fit primitive" tool to insert (and subsequently boolean union) a cuboidal object between the parts.