Author Topic: Selection Input for Add Tube Tool  (Read 1591 times)

rizzo242

• View Profile
Selection Input for Add Tube Tool
« on: June 01, 2016, 12:53:43 AM »
Hello Meshmixer Users and Devs!

Suggestion: add additional input method for the "Add Tube" utility based on selection areas (rather than the currect handle dragging method).

Motivation: On occasion, it can be rather difficult to drag the tube handles so that the resulting tube lies perpendicular to the my geometries. This happens primarily when I am dealing with curved endpoints for where I want to the tube to connect to -- essentially extending an already tube-like structure. In addition, it can be difficult to manually manipulate the end radii so that they form near contiguous extensions of these regions. I understand that there are many ways to fix such imperfections, but it would be nice to have an input method which gets me closer to my desired prodcut off the bat.

Utility: I imagine having an interface similar to the "Tube Handle" function already implemented in MeshMixer. Two mesh regions could be selected as endpoints for the tube, and the centerpoint and end-radii of the tube would be matched to the location/area of these regions. The rest of the tube type functionality (tube type, combine mode, spline lenght, etc) would remain available for tweaking, but the initial locations and radii of the tube would be provided.

I'd love to hear the communities thoughts on this, thank you!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:57:23 AM by rizzo242 »