Author Topic: [SOLVED] Can't install on Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn)  (Read 6791 times)

Katherine Rix

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Can't install on Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn)
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
Hi All,

I can't install MeshMixer as the dependency libsuperlu3 has now become libsuperlu4 with the 14.10 release. Will you be able to make a new build for 14.10? Or can you give me instructions for a quick fix?

By the way, I also posted my question to AskUbuntu. Feel free to answer there too if you like. Otherwise, I'll make sure to repost any solution there for other users :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:52:44 PM by Katherine Rix »

Linny

• View Profile
Re: Can't install on Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:46:43 AM »
Here it worked by forcing it to install and after that, creating a symbolic link for libsuperlu3.

For example:

Code: [Select]
ln -s /usr/lib64/libsuperlu.so.4 /usr/lib64/libsuperlu.so.3

Katherine Rix

• View Profile
Re: Can't install on Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
Was just about to reply!  ;D

The method I used was to install the dependencies manually using GDebi. Full instructions on AskUbuntu. I'll give your suggestion a try next time I run into an issue like this, so thanks!

brjhaverkamp

• View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Can't install on Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:10:53 AM »
Hello all,

I'm also very happy to see a first linux version on the site!!

However, it is a bit confusing, under the version 2.8 section on http://meshmixer.com/download.html, the download link for the experimental Linux version points to a 2.7 version for Ubuntu 14.04.

Also the frontpage http://meshmixer.com there is no reference to version 2.8 yet.

Would it be possible to recompile meshmixer 2.7 for ubuntu 14.10? That should not be much work, right? It is just a arecompile with the same settings, but on the latest ubuntu version.

Meshmixer 2.8 would even be greater, but I can't judge how much work that is:-)

Regards,

Bert

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:59:07 AM »
We are working on an update. However I'm not sure we will be able to support multiple versions of linux, at least in the near future. Can you explain the situation with 14.10 vs 14.04? Our understanding was that most people would be using 14.04...

"It is just a recompile" is not strictly true. It seems like superlu4 is binary-compatible with superlu3, but this is never guaranteed, and rarely the case. There was another third-party library we use for which the version that is included in Ubuntu (14.04 and 14.10) was completely incompatible. And worse, this was a library used by another third-party library, where we did not write the code and could not possibly update it.

We ultimately worked around this by compiling-in both dependencies. But these dependency issues, they are by far the hardest problem we have had on linux so far. We basically do not have them on win and OSX - there we include all the necessary libraries in the install.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

brjhaverkamp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 02:24:08 PM »
Hi RMS,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what the statistics are, but I would asume most people are using 14.10 by now. Ubuntu has a 6 month release cycle, every April and November.  The convention in Ubuntu version numbering is "Year.Month", so 14.04 is the release from April 2014, 14.10 is from November 2014.  THe next one will be 15.04, etc. Ordinary users like to stay up to date and upgrade within a month or so after a release. Ubuntu makes that very easy, and it is just a click of a button in the update centre to update.

When you are particularly keen on ultimate stability, and don't like updates (typically enterprise environments) you would use the Long term Supported (LTS) releases. Ubuntu picks one every 2 years and supports these for much longer than ordinary releases (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS) 14.04 is one of those releases, so it will definitely have a userbase for some time.

I recognise the issues with Linux and library compatibility. It is a known issue. There are benefits of course(upstream bugfixes, install size, memory usage, etc), but the problems you mention are known drawbacks. I was hoping that compiling against the right library versions would be simple. In case of reasonably stable library APIs, it usually is. I hope you can find a way to suport both the LTS and latest version of ubuntu.

Regards,

Bert

Katherine Rix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:52:04 AM »
It is true that the next version of Ubuntu will be coming out in 15.04, but the next LTS (long-term support release) is only 16.04 (April 2016 as brjhaverkamp explained) so you have some breathing room. You may want to check the statistics for the LTS versus non-LTS user base with Canonical, but it seems a reasonable assumption that the LTS user base will be larger. Then again, perhaps your customer base comprises a large number of developers and those are people who tend to have the latest version installed. Overall, preferentially supporting LTSs does make sense to me personally, especially if you are a small team. Sucks for me, but I get it.

I have had another thought in the meantime. Because the package name has changed, you can provide `superliblu3` yourselves in the download or in your deb repository. You'd have to add the necessary steps to your download instructions, but that's way easier for you guys than recompiling. It would be as easy for an Ubuntu user to install as installing a PPA which most of them will be familiar with.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 12:50:18 AM »
Thanks! Once we have our 14.04 package sorted out (ie done properly, following the actual guidelines/etc), we will look into 14.10.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting