Author Topic: curve and tube feature needed  (Read 1682 times)

andrius

• View Profile
curve and tube feature needed
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:38:13 AM »
Meshmixer is a great piece of software. Many thanks for developers.
Though, I miss a functionality of modeling profiles along the predesigned curves. I think many people do.
I hope, that it is possible to implement a tool which would allow to draw a multipoint curve fitting the target object. It would be great to have a possibility to create segmented, star shaped or at least T shaped curves.  And then, one have to apply a selected (predefined or custom shape - round, square, triangle etc.) profile along that curve. It should be possible to select width and thickness of formed profile along the curve segment (at start and and the end of it).
The profile expected to form a separate object closely adapted to target object.
Some modeling programs has this feature, few to mention: Cubify Sculpt, VRmesh etc.
For now, I use Sculpt tool and Boolean difference subtraction from original object. This is a great inconvenience for two reasons: workflow and technical.
Results from current workflow are suboptimal - objects have rough edges.
To get idea please look at pictures below.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:40:27 AM by andrius »

NikFromNYC

• View Profile
Re: curve and tube feature needed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 06:59:40 AM »
Indeed, curve import is lacking in both ZBrush and 3D-Coat but expensive Geomagic Freeform has it. I wasn't curve import and curve strokes, mainly since Rhino Grasshopper can Senate curve production very quickly and then I often wasn't too turn them into bulk tubes. I can use Cocoon marching cubes in Grasshopper, or make mesh pipes, but a native Meshmixer curves system would simplify things of our worked well.