Author Topic: Setting SecondaryBrushes  (Read 1716 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Setting SecondaryBrushes
« on: March 17, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »
ATM SCULPT's secondary brushes (Shift+Hold) are the smooth brushes only.

Modifying meshmixer.ini it is possible to set any type of of brush as the secondary one (one can't set a Surface brush to be the secondary Volume brush and vice versa) so this seems to be a GUI issue only.
Although the smooth brushes are likely to be the most used secondary type in many cases it would speed up sculpting if the GUI would allow to set any brush as the secondary one.
Just to give two examples :
- If I set Pinch to be the first AND secondary brush this allows to use two Depths (one for the first at minus, one for the secondary at plus). This way it is possible to switch pinching out and in only by Shift without pulling the depth slider each time. All brush parameters (except Size any Lazyness)  of the Volume brushes are remembered for the first and secondary brush separately....
- If I set Surface/PaintVertex to be the first brush and SmoothColor to be the secondary one eases painting.

Unfortunately the Stencil seems to be ignored by a secondary brush in Surface mode.

Instead of having two sections in the brushes palette: Maybe its doable to select the primary brush with a simple click and the secondary with a Shift+click in a common list?
Having that possibility it would be nice if the brush icon would update to the secondary brush pressing shift while working.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:59:05 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Setting SecondaryBrushes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »
Tried to get what's possible in modifying the .ini via the API:

Unfortunately
Code: [Select]
setsec = mmapi.StoredCommands()
setsec.AppendBeginToolCommand("volumeBrush")
setsec.AppendToolUtilityCommand("setSecondary", "pinch")
remote.runCommand(setsec)
isn't working this way too.

Also here "setSecondary" allows only "bubbleSmooth","shrinkSmooth" and "robustSmooth".

Allowing to set the full palette of brushes via API might be a way avoiding GUI changes.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: Setting SecondaryBrushes
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »
yup, the API will not let you do it. I will see if I can add some kind of shift-select type thing that will let you assign the secondary. Either will be very easy, or very hard =)
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting