Author Topic: Paint and Color improvements  (Read 2237 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Paint and Color improvements
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:15:59 PM »
Another wishlist concerning PerVertexColor:

AutoPaint in SCULPT/Surface brushes:
As an option it would be great to have the current color applied while working with surface brushes which modify/deform the mesh based on a Stencil. (Maybe a checkbox "Colorize" in the surface brushes' options)

Imagine you use a brush with some "veins" stencil to create veins on a skin surface. ATM this only projects the stencil as a depth map modifier on the mesh. Now to get some red color for the veins you've to go to the paint brush. One may try to use a very tiny size without stencil pattern to paint the veins or use the same brush size stenciled as before. Hard to do in the first case, nearly impossible to hit the previous stroke in the second case.

So if painting and surface sculpting would happen at the same time it would be great.

Selection based on color
The already implemented feature to expand an existing selection based on VertexColorSimilarity is great but it stops to expand at the coast of a color island. I'd like to see a selection mode which detects all verticies of an object owning the same color too, a global detection of all islands. These islands selection could be the core to expand based on color similarity.
This kind of selection could be based on the same palette as the surface paint brush and the color picker hotkey.
If such a feature would exist we'd have a second level to group regions (besides the FaceGroups) based on color even if you not interested in painting at all.

Flood fill a selection
Along with this I'd wish to have a SELECT/Modify feature were the verticies of selected regions get a certain color information. Besides the FaceGroups, together with a SelectionBasedOnColor, this would provide an new level of storing selections which may be different to FaceGroups.
Also it would provide a way to rapidly modify an already painted color.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

stagwolf

• View Profile
Re: Paint and Color improvements
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »
+1

The Color tools inside MM are great, especially as Meshlab etc. is getting better at converting per-vertex data to actual texture maps.

These enhancements would be great.

JustinHorb

• View Profile
    • ?????? ????? ??? ??????????? ??? ??????
Paint and Color improvements
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:27:03 PM »
Using Tc's 18 Pro: 

Can the color for a imported object be duplicated automatically in a sense much the same as MS "Paint"? Presently I'm trying to approximate the color by sliding the bars given by Tc, or does this feature exist now?
?????? ????? ??? ??????????? ??? ??????  More info>>>

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Paint and Color improvements
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
What's Tc? Some robot dialect?

Being in the paint brush tool hit "P" to pick the color underneath the cursor.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.