Author Topic: Transform (Move) along target  (Read 2212 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Transform (Move) along target
« on: December 10, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »
While dropping a MESHMIX solid part on an object we can move it along the surface it is dropped to. Unfortunately this kind of placing an object is available only in this situation.

It would be great to have this in MM's Transform tools as well which makes the to be transformed object stick to a defined Target object.
Maybe it's doable to add a checkbox "MoveAlongTarget" to Transform tools' options (or some modifier key) that makes MM Transform fall in that d&d mode.

(Another possibility would be to to use a big SCULPT/Move brush with BrushOnTarget activated. But for a "NoFalloff"-falloff type is missing in the Volume brushes this distorts the moved objects in most cases.)

Think this would pretty useful to correct the position of objects in relation to a main object or to multiply some detail object using the drop duplicate "D" key....

It would be great too to have drop duplicate "D" in MESHMIX too. This would speed up dropping the same part multiple times. Now MESHMIX closes automatically after dropping a part so you've to reenter MESHMIX and do d&d for each copy of the very same part...
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: Transform (Move) along target
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
In 3.0 you can more-or-less do this via a pivot. I extended the fast pivot-to-pivot snap interaction to also work for pivot-to-any-surface-in-scene. Once you have done this, then you will be in the Align tool in Pivot to Surface Point modes, where you can now use 'd' to drop copies.

'd' in Meshmix is a good idea, at least for the solid-parts it should be easy to do...
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »
I extended the fast pivot-to-pivot snap interaction to also work for pivot-to-any-surface-in-scene. Once you have done this, then you will be in the Align tool in Pivot to Surface Point modes, where you can now use 'd' to drop copies.
Hey that's great, thanks a lot. This works fine.
I've to look into this deeper, but my tests so far showed some issues:
-  Seems it would be nice to have an offset (along Y) slider in the Align tool to define a variable "depth of intersection" without transforming the pivot each time I need a different depth.
-  It's hard to double-click + drag to call this fast interaction on a interior pivot which is needed to get some intersection with the "target" mesh. Maybe it's possible to add a modifier key to restrict a single click to activate pivots only? If so, it would be as easy as doing it on exterior pivots
-  If the MeshToBeMoved already intersect with the target one can not move the object within the "area of intersection" for it hides this area of the other mesh. PivotToAnySurface fast interaction only works if the AnySurface isn't hidden by an other one. As long as one drags the former position is rendered solid while the result-preview is a ghost. As soon as you release LMB the former position is the ghost while the align preview is rendered sold. Maybe one can solve this limitation to big moves only by switching ghost/solid for the drag-state too?
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »
I added the 'd' hotkey in Drop Solid, in beta 3.1.7 http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?topic=2677.0
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting