Author Topic: meshmixer 2.9  (Read 15552 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: meshmixer 2.9
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 03:58:35 AM »
Magweb: unfortunately I didn't have time to get the pivots in for transform and soft transform. We will post a bugfix update with that, hopefully before the end of the month.

If you find the time that would be great!
Please don't forget the Wrap tool. ATM it does not move linked pivots. Maybe it is possible to make linked pivots, placed at the selected area to wrap, red-sphere handles at the tool's startup? Beside being a pivot those elements are control points and it seems logical to me to suggest them as handles for that tool. Think that would make the tool more intuitive.

It would also be great if (especially solid) MESHMIX part's creation would add existing pivots to the part and dropping such a part could be restricted to drop the part using pivot to pivot alignment. There are two kind of pivots linked or not linked. If there are two (one linked and a non-linked) pivots on the mesh to serve as a part, MM could use the non-linked pivot for snapping to a pivot linked to the target mesh (after dropping it would be great if MM could delete that non-linked pivot). For there is still the linked pivot (which is linked to the target mesh now) one could do the same operation again dropping the same part onto its previous drop result... Some kind of part stacking.
If that would be doable, maybe it's also possible to drop the part onto all or several (activated via scene browser) linked pivots (on the target) at the very same time as some kind of instances (to scale them in one go too) of the same part-object? Some interesting way to create patterns or chains of objects...
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 04:30:14 PM »
Made some paper explaining my understanding of pivots:

http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?topic=2195.0
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »
Magweb, I can't reproduce your crash about the renaming+show/hide. Can you explain exact steps & platform?

Also, to reproduce AlignToLastPlane, after the Plane Cut use Create Pivot Tool and set the mode to 'From Last Tool', and Drop Pivot. This will place a pivot at the center of the plane cut you just did. Then, use the Align tool with that pivot as source and the ground plane as target.

From Last Tool mode has lots of useful capabilities like this...
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 04:18:16 PM »
 I’m still on MAC OSX 10.9.5 , CPU Core I7 3,4 GHz, Memory 12GB 1333MHz DDR3, GPU AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Steps to reproduce this issue:
   •   Import Sphere
   •   ShowObjectsBrowser
   •   CreatePivot
   •   Drop some pivot (linked or non-linked doesn’t matter) and leave CreatePivot
   •   Hit the Show/HidePivots Toggle to show pivots in the Browser  list
   •   DoubleClick on „Pivot1“ in the list to make its name editable
   •   Type e.g. „SomeName“ and hit enter to confirm
   •   Hit the Show/HidePivots Toggle to hide pivots in the list
   •   Again: Hit the Show/HidePivots Toggle to show pivots in the list >>> crash

Also: After renaming and hiding the pivot setting the focus to the sphere causes a crash here.

Yep: Meanwhile I'm aware of Pivots "FromLastTool" power.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »
OK, I can't reproduce on Windows, I will try on OSX.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

gerpho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
With respect to my use (retouching 3D scans), the fact that all these tools now preserve textures is absolutely fantastic !!

Thank you so much !

mcphill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 06:04:37 PM »
Hope this can help somebody, I could NOT figure out how to delete Pivots (MaxWeb, it is missing from your otherwise thorough and AWESOME guide).

You need to go in the Object Browser (CTRL-SHIFT-O if it is not visible, or click on it under the "View" command).  There is a toggle in the bottom left corner to toggle viewing the Pivots in the Object Browser.  Once visible in the Object Browser, you can hide/view/rename/delete existing pivots.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
You can also delete a pivot by selecting it and hitting 'x', or the delete key (fn-delete on OS X). In meshmixer 'x' functions as a generic delete-selected-stuff hotkey.

tysonbrochu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
I can't reproduce the show/hide pivot crash on my Mac (running OS X 10.10.4).  Here's a video of me trying, let me know if I'm missing a step:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/891243/pivot-repro.mov

T.

I’m still on MAC OSX 10.9.5 , CPU Core I7 3,4 GHz, Memory 12GB 1333MHz DDR3, GPU AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Steps to reproduce this issue:
   •   Import Sphere
   •   ShowObjectsBrowser
   •   CreatePivot
   •   Drop some pivot (linked or non-linked doesn’t matter) and leave CreatePivot
   •   Hit the Show/HidePivots Toggle to show pivots in the Browser  list
   •   DoubleClick on „Pivot1“ in the list to make its name editable
   •   Type e.g. „SomeName“ and hit enter to confirm
   •   Hit the Show/HidePivots Toggle to hide pivots in the list
   •   Again: Hit the Show/HidePivots Toggle to show pivots in the list >>> crash

Also: After renaming and hiding the pivot setting the focus to the sphere causes a crash here.

Yep: Meanwhile I'm aware of Pivots "FromLastTool" power.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 06:28:40 PM »
Seems confirming the changed pivot name hitting Enter solves this issue (can't see if you did that in your mov?) sometimes ... pretty confusing...
But leaving "text-change-mode" for pivots without Enter (by clicking right of the text or giving the focus to another element directly) shows this issue.
(Doing the same with objects works)

Update: It's even enough to enter "text-change-mode" for pivots and leaving the name as it is. Without Enter the next show toggle causes a crash here.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:38:52 PM by MagWeb »