Author Topic: mesh boolean demo  (Read 36849 times)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
Re: mesh boolean demo
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »
Yea I know. Actually I am working on some rotation axis-snapping right now. Numpad didn't occur to me, I guess that would be easy to do.

I'm with you on the axis-constrained manipulators, too.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »
here is a tutorial on Blender numpad shortcuts(to give you some idea how it works)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVHWfnEz_8

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
Made some try, and wow, now that's impressive. ;)
On the 64bit version I could detail a model past the 3 million polygons with no slowdown and the boolean function seems to work flawlessly.

Just the smooth brush seems to have problems with heavy models, that is strange considering that on its "shift" variation on the sculpt brushes it works as it should. There is a lag as you said when I tried to rotate the object and oddly also sometimes when I used the selection brush. This version seems stable enough, but I will try it doing a more complex model.

Still I have some doubts about the booleans: when I import and append objects I have a focus (a sort of mask) that let me choose which object working on to operate with booleans, but if I have an obj of composed elements the boolean doesn't seems to work and if I "extract" new elements I'm not able to make booleans of them as well because the focus is centered on the extracted-and-the source objects at the same time. Is there a way to make meshmixer recognize the individual elements to make booleans with them?

How did you made your box HolyEnigma, did you appended the single elements or did you created a single obj? ???
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:37:34 AM by hieveryone »

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »
How did you made your box HolyEnigma, did you appended the single elements or did you created a single obj? ???

errr umm.. i dont fully understand your question..

i imported a subdivided(and triangulated) Cube from blender(solid)

then i appended a sculptris sphere into the scene and used that to boolean the inside of the box..

------

for the next one.
i, imported a cube, and appended 3 cylinders(one at a time)
and Boolean them from the box.

Import Cube
append cylinder
boolean
append cylinder
put it into place(transform tool)
boolean
append cylinder
put it into place(transform tool)
boolean
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:36:31 AM by HolyEnigma74 »

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
Ops, sorry HolyEnigma, I was referring to the BoolBox of MagWeb but I wrote your name by mistake, my bad. Sorry for the confusion. :-X
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:46:23 PM by hieveryone »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
sorry hieveryone, the obj importer is not smart enough to create separate objects for the different objects in the input file, and there is no function yet to select faces and separate them out into a new object.

The multi-object support is definitely a work-in-progress

The dedicated smoothing brush is not as optimized as the sculpting brushes, probably why you are seeing the performance difference. The selection brush lag may be due to similar things...they use different implementations.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
I see. Well, then as a workaround I just have to export the elements separately and then append them in the scene. I will make a try on my model, no big deal. Thanks for the answer RMS. ;)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
Ops, sorry HolyEnigma, I was referring to the BoolBox of MagWeb but I wrote your name by mistake, my bad. Sorry for the confusion. :-X

I did this in CHEETAH 3D and imported three OBJ to MM, but you could do it with means of MM too, using extrusion and extraction of the default plane .....

Here you can get the basic . mix file I used ( link valid for  90 days - 26MB,  for the planes are pretty high resolution):
http://www.wikisend.com/download/640654/BoolBox.mix.zip

Start rotating your view to left view and do your 1st selection/extrusion on the active plane.
For now this 1st extrusion hides the other planes on the left, switch on symmetry and do your selection on the other two plane objects on the right side.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:17:55 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 05:31:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up MagWeb. 8)
About the file it seems it's needed a password to download it but you can just delete it already, I got how you created your boolean box and anyway I just wanted to be sure that appending objects was the only way to have the focus mask and at least for now it is. Anyway thanks, you're very kind. ;)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
Ohps - forgot the PW:  MeshMixer
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

andreicirdu

• View Profile
    • 3d concepts
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
Yaaay!!! Booleans! Cool! :)
iatriki.carbonmade.com

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:01 AM »
just a tip: if the boolean is not working (ie everything turns red), use the Refine mode of VolBrush to add triangles around the areas where the meshes intersect. This particularly happens when trying to subtract an object from a thin surface....there needs to be at least a few triangles fully inside the thin part.

jumpjack

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »
How can I use this feature to attach a cylinder to the interior of a spheric hull which has non-zero thickness, i.e. which is actually made of two concentric hulls?