Author Topic: MagWeb: Mixed Papers  (Read 12647 times)

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MagWeb: Mixed Papers
« on: May 23, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
To keep this first post as an index of the paper's published in this thread it will be modified as I release some new stuff.

Current content:
(To download a source directly from this post: click its image. Close the new tab to go back to this side.)

Basics:

Advanced:

Special Topics:

original message

Hello,

this is the first paper, written for my daughters I'm introducing to Meshmixer 2.9. We decided to share it.

About Pivots

This first paper (hopefully my time allows further ones) is about Pivots.
Why to start with Pivots?
Besides the fact that I had to spend some time the last days to step through this stuff for myself (so it was easy to write it along that process), I think it is not the worst content to understand 3D.
A Pivot's right usage forces to think about what's going on.

Please consider: This paper was written only by exploring brand new things and trying to understand what these elements actually do. My understanding at this state might be not correct. See it as an attempt....Also I'm no native speaker. If you find mistakes, things are misleading or not clear please let me know.

Download below.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:21:51 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

humanti

• View Profile
Re: MagWeb: Mixed Papers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 02:40:11 AM »
A very useful guide, has something to learn. :o

Philo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Philohome website
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
Thanks, Magweb, very useful! (and thanks RMS for creating this feature in MM ;)
Philo

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
Nice to hear you like it!
--------------------------

Added UI Basics Part I .
The is meant as first introduction for someone being a complete newbie stepping into 3D with Meshmixer.
So its a bit boring for advanced users but maybe you'll find this or that information you were not aware of.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:37:28 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 10:52:44 PM »
This is seriously amazing!!
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

cpramuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »
MagWeb:

I work with Ryan on Meshmixer as Product manager.
Really nice to have some form of documentation. As you know we are lacking there, so thank you!
Is it OK to share these is anyone is asking?

Thanks

Christian

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 05:05:25 PM »
Christian:

Of course, that's OK  -  Think that's why I post these papers in a forum.
Instead of wasting time on documentation I like to see developers developing if anybody else can do some kind of explaining stuff. See it as a small tribute coming from convinced users.

Again @ All: Please do not hesitate to contact me if you find some wrong, not clear or misleading content and for I'm no native speaker I'm not that sure about my English....
Papers are patient - they may be improved and updated.

UI Basics II will come the next days. Stay tuned...

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
Just a quick HowTo for the question came up how to get a boolean result of meshes where large surface areas are equal.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:48:37 AM by MagWeb »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
great explanation. That is basically the only way to do it with booleans.

If you just want to measure the difference, another way is to flip the normals on the one you want to subtract, combine the two, and then do Make Solid, and use Accurate mode. It will treat the inverted surface as "inside", i.e. a hole, and because the gap is effectively 0, remove the areas. However it is not 100% robust and may leave some weird floaty bits or ribbons...
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 06:07:45 AM »
Added UI Basics Part II .
Again this is meant as first introduction for someone being a complete newbie stepping into 3D with Meshmixer.

This paper concentrates on the appearance of your objects in the scene and explains some basic terms.
There's also a download to get a project file and some shader materials I did.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:44:20 AM by MagWeb »

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
Again, just for the question came up

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:53:37 AM by MagWeb »

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 11:05:36 AM »
And:

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 10:14:21 PM »
Both the curved text and the helix, I would have said were impossible in meshmixer. You have proved me wrong! =)

Philo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Philohome website
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 04:52:44 AM »
Too bad the stamp has so stringent connexity requirements - that would be much simpler!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:42:24 AM by Philo »
Philo

Philo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Philohome website
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 05:48:36 AM »
Excellent! But I had a hard time welding turns together. It looks like after splitting the torus, some very thin triangles remain, preventing double click on boundary to select it completely. What did work was to double click and expand selection (expand + contract doesn't work either). .mix attached.
Philo