Author Topic: Select Shared Groups across objects  (Read 2251 times)

stagwolf

• View Profile
Select Shared Groups across objects
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
I'm kinda surprised this doesn't exist (I went looking for it in fact, assuming it was there), so if I'm being blind forgive me-

I'd love the option to with a few clicks select ALL faces which are part of the same Face-Group even when those face-groups are disconnected (either non-contiguous on a single object, or spread across multiple grouped objects).

Use Case-
I frequently use MeshMixer's "Generate Face Groups" and other (generally superior to every other application I know of) selection tools to define material-zones for use in my texturing and rendering applications. 

Often One model will have several non-contiguous areas that are one type of material, for instance "red paint" and other areas should be a second material, "blue paint".

Generate Face Groups does a great job of getting me most of the way there, so I'll then double-click each face group that should be "red paint" and then add-select-paint any non-auto-defined areas that need to be "red paint", once everything is selected I hit "Modify>Create Face Group" and lovely, I have a great material Zone.

Now, I need to define "Blue Paint"....and this is where it's annoying and should be easier.  Because "Create Face Group" de-selects the group in question (as opposed to "smooth boundary" for instance that creates a group and maintains the selection), in order to select all the "Blue Paint" destined faces and create a new group, I have to re-double-click each non-contiguous "red paint" group, and once they're all selected, Invert will get all the "Blue Paint" destined faces selected.   But all that double-double-clicking is frustrating.

I would suggest one of three approaches:

Shift+(or Ctl+ or whatever)Double-Click on a Face-Group Selects all Faces assigned to that group, including non-contiguous faces.
or
1.Double-click select a Face-Group. 2.Modify>Select Non-Contiguous Group Faces (or whatever)
or
Disable the de-select behavior on "Create Face Group" command.  This is the least desirable option, as it makes re-selecting the entire group at a later time no easier, but it would remove the pain of many common tasks.

Thanks as always for such a great community and responsive team, and amazing application.  I look forward to the day when I can use MeshMixer to do all my modelling (it's just a few features shy of that status)

NikFromNYC

• View Profile
Re: Select Shared Groups across objects
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:26:42 AM »
A year later and I second this very basic request, as in why is this even missing? I can't use groups as groups so they might as well not even have the same color for separate parts, often dozens or hundreds of isolated little indents or strips. The Alt key should modify the double click behavior to select the whole group.

NikFromNYC

• View Profile
Re: Select Shared Groups across objects
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:07:25 AM »
SOLUTION: the hidden shift-G command does it, expands to select all group color islands after you manually select a part of one island in the group. Should be added to the keyboard shortcut manual and a separate menu item added for it in the selection modifier menu.

Found here:

http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?topic=2712.msg6652#msg6652

We still need ability to convert imported vertex colors to groups though. That's the only way I can define selection areas algorithmically in Rhino/Grasshopper but then in Meshmixer I'm stuck with a negative space strategy that relies on the overall model having one main contiguous surface I can color select by control-dragging in the vertex color expansion mode. The create face groups palette should have another menu item for this.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:40:54 AM by NikFromNYC »