Author Topic: meshmixer 2.9  (Read 15165 times)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
meshmixer 2.9
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
First, to everyone who has had their posts go un-answered: I apologize! We have been very busy with meshmixer 2.9, and I after 4 years I also took some time off. But I hope this release will have pre-empted many of your concerns (particularly if it has to do with startup crashes!)

If you want to get straight to the good stuff, grab it here: http://www.meshmixer.com/download.html

Here are the full release notes:

- most mesh editing tools now properly handle UVs and Texture Maps. Sculpting is the big one - you can now dynamic-mesh-sculpt on a textured mesh, without having to turn off Refinement. This does makes sculpting slower, in particular there can be a lag at the end of each brush stroke. We are working on it. Also, Tools like Meshmix, Extrude, Offset, Join, Bridge, Tube Handle, and so on, all will preserve texture and usually generate new UV maps with interpolated colors in areas where there is no texture already. There are still bugs, but it works pretty well.

- new Pivots objects for simplifying precise positioning. You use the Create Pivot tool (hotkey: 5) to add Pivots to the scene. There are many different creation modes. They are persistent objects that you can select/transform/delete and so on. Use the small buttons at the bottom of the object browser to toggle their visibility in the list. Tools that have some kind of click-drag interaction will do things like snap to the pivot under the cursor (ie for Stamp, Meshmix, etc). In other tools like Plane Cut, clicking on a Pivot will set the plane to the Pivot. Repeat clicking will cycle through the 3 Pivot axes.

- Pivots can be Linked to a mesh object. Currently this is only possible at creation time, with a toggle in Create Pivot. When you transform a mesh object, its linked pivots are also transormed. So you can basically create parts with a set of pivots and use the Align tool (see below) to quickly snap them together.

- we can now Import .mix files into the current scene. This enables you to have files with different parts that can be easily combined.

- updated Transform Tool with a property panel. You can directly enter translate/rotate/scale and dimension values into the property panel fields. The gizmo will also now snap to fixed sizes when using the axis and uniform-scale controllers. If you click on a Pivot, it will be used as the center/axes of rotation/scale.

- updated Align Tool with more alignment modes and an updated property panel. There is also a fast alignment shortcut for a linked pivot. With no object selected, click and drag from a linked pivot to any other pivot. The Align tool will automatically be started, with the pivot-to-pivot transformation initialized. If you hold shift (after starting the drag) it will only do translation instead of translate+rotate, and hold ctrl to reverse/flip the target orientation.

- You can now select obscured objects by repeatedly clicking in the same spot. It will cycle through the various objects under the cursor. This is particularly useful for selecting pivots inside objects.

- updated Remesh Tool with various different remeshing modes. We also added a "Transition" parameter, which will let you blend the remesh into the surrounding area (ie to avoid sharp transitions in triangle density, which create ugly border triangles). The remeshing algorithm has also been tweaked so that it converges more quickly.

- new Adaptivity setting for sculpting brushes. This replaces the Adaptive checkbox that we had added under Filters, with more granular per-brush control. When Adaptivity is high, a large brush will still preserve details. By default this is set to 0 for all brushes.

- Improved stability, particularly startup crashes and GPU issues. The crashes that were fixable by disabling your network should no longer happen.

- Meshmixer now supports multi-user installations. If the /Documents/meshmixer folder is missing on startup, we will try to initialize it. If this doesn't work, we provide a GUI to re-direct the path. Also if your /Documents/meshmixer folder becomes corrupted (ie files deleted, etc) we will try to repair it.

- Support for Anti-Aliased Rendering. You can turn this on in the Preferences dialog. It is disabled by default (we are a bit hesitant to turn it on by default, given how flaky many laptop GPUs are...)

- Attract To Target now has a toggle for enabling/disabling refinement

- New Shortcuts:
   * Ctrl-B to Bridge, J to Join.  Previous Ctrl-B to toggle boundary visibility is moved to Ctrl-Shift-B
   * in the Create Pivot tool, q drops a pivot at the last tool frame (same as Last Tool Frame mode). This is a quick way to "save" something like a plane cut - if you need to use the same plane for multiple things, quickly hit 5-q to drop a pivot after you accept or cancel the Tool.
   * Shift-C will duplicate the current selected objects.
   * in the Transform tool, d hotkey will drop a copy at the current orientation. You can use this to drop multiple copies. Combine this with something like rotate around a pivot, or translate, and you can easily make small patterns (then send to Make Solid to get something printable!)
   * At the startup splash screen, q hotkey will load the last file you opened/imported.

- Misc: Replicator Z18 printer added, we improved support for non-US number encodings on OSX and Linux, Fixed some rendering glitches during sculpting...and more! We fixed lots of small things, but I can't remember them all...
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

anoved

• View Profile
Re: meshmixer 2.9
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
Are there plans to release this for Linux? The last item in the change list implies so, but 2.7 seems to be the latest version linked on the Linux download page.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »
Wow!
This is a very, very useful awesome update (as your updates always are). Thanks!!!
Now it is up to us to explore that great bundle of new stuff and its possibilities. That will need some time.

Just a question: Seems pivots "only" work on transforming objects. Currently they do support transforming selections. Right?

And found an issue: Renaming a pivot or an object in the scene browser (e.g. "Pivot1" to "Shoulder" or "Sphere.obj" to "Football") : Clicking a Show/Hide toggle in the browser to hide pivots or objects works but clicking again to show such entries causes a crash here on MAC.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »
anoved: we are almost ready with the linux build. There was some kind of installer glitch when I installed it in VMWare, but it still ran fine. I guess I could post it anyway...

Magweb: unfortunately I didn't have time to get the pivots in for transform and soft transform. We will post a bugfix update with that, hopefully before the end of the month.

Thanks for the crash report, I guess I didn't test that combination. One-line to fix =\
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

ultibrain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 04:32:42 AM »
Thanks for the new version! It's like a holiday gift.... Small question: I'm used to use a plane cut followed by a Align to last plane. So the cut object is nicely put on the base plane. How can I do this now?

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
Thanks for the major update! I also have a question about the align tool, I tried different things but how do I align a plane cut surface to the build platform?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 09:37:01 AM »
Align settings:
Source = SurfaceScribble
Destination = WorldOrigin/Y-up
Translation = TranslatAndRotate
Flip = disabled

This seems to do what "AlignToLastPlane" did.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 05:10:38 PM »
It doesn't work for me, I seem to get very weird results. The scribble on surface doesn't work - the model flips around very strangely. I have a flat surface and still it aligns at a weird angle, sometimes nothing happens. When I first click ''flip'' the alignment of a flat surface to the grid does work but only once..

Should I reinstall MeshMixer maybe? Maybe something in Windows is buggy..

stagwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »
Wow....so many great updates in this release!   Amazing work.  You deserved that time off.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 04:22:47 AM »
3DWP:

The meaning of ghost and normal rendering changed in the Align tool. Maybe that's confusing.
In previous versions the ghost was the new position while the old position was rendered in the normal way.
Means using Scribble you've to scribble on the ghost (which presents the Source) and optional on another solid object after that (if its mode "Destination" requires that. Scribbling on the destination gives a blue scribble)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:24:45 AM by MagWeb »

Tree_House_Fire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »
Did something change with the extrude tool? In previous versions, when I used a negative offset, used the Z-Axis for the direction, and an endtype of flat I would get a closed flat bottomed terrain. Now in 2.9 it is more like a flat offset?

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 02:16:43 PM »
Cann't see any different behavior of Extrude here.

There are two things which make me wonder:
- Extrusions which touch a boundary do not support an automatic subdivision of the extrusion walls (their subdivision can be set with the density slider if selections don't touch boundaries). The current extrusion touches the boundary so its result is correct. But your image shows former extrusions not touching a boundary and obviously with no subdivided walls (or did you set a very low density there?)
- You're showing us the back of the surface (pale pink and selection isn't visible on that side). As the offset direction shows you are working upside down. Any reason for that or is there something wrong with you base mesh?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:20:40 PM by MagWeb »

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »
3DWP: you don't need to scribble, you can use the Surface Point mode, then just click on the cut face

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »
Oh man,

don't think anyone, including me, yet got the meaning of this new stuff:
Dynamic textured sculpting,
Textured meshmixing,
Textured booleans,
Color interpolated extrusions,

anything I tried works like a charm. No glitches here so far...

You did it.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 05:50:40 AM »
Some things to mention on the pivots:

- If there's an object with linked pivots and you duplicate this object the linked pivots are not created for the duplicate. Would love to have that for this solves a lot of issues I ran into trying to find a workaround: You might consider to save the first object as a .mix and import that file appending it to the scene. Linked pivots ARE created this way, but they get linked to the first, original object. Seems linking pivots is based on the object's name while creating it. Renaming the object does not change this linking information.
The only way I found so far to solve this is to combine two (ore more) objects. This seems to update linking. Now one can append a previous made .mix object with pivots linked to it correctly. This allows things like the attached Brick image. If you SeparateShells of the combined object again you'll get back objects named the way "originalNameOFFile(Shell x)" and linked pivots stick to it correctly.

- If an object with linked pivots is removed from the scene its pivots remain as not linked ones. One has to discard them manually.

- I did not find a pivot creation mode that allows to create a linked pivot based on some other pivot. This is not needed for Transform but great for Aligning. If two objects have the very same linked pivot you can easily reconstruct former positions using pivot to pivot aligning even after some Transform operations. Using FromLastTool creates a pivot right at the LastTool's position (which might have used the pivot to be transferred) but this kind does not seem to be linkable.
My workaround to transfer a pivot from one object (A) to another (B):
*Create some pivot on A.
*Import a sphere object and create a linked pivot in its center (different ways to do this..).
*Align the sphere's pivot to the one linked to A.
*Combine object B and the sphere.
*Via SELECT select the sphere's surface and discard it. Its linked pivot works now on object B.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:30:44 AM by MagWeb »