Author Topic: Manual or list of handy (''hidden'') functions  (Read 16337 times)

Philo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Philohome website
Re: Manual or list of handy (''hidden'') functions
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 08:50:24 AM »
the fit-to-view button in the hotbox (hold spacebar, button to right of magnifying glass)
Btw, what about adding help bubbles on hotbox buttons?
Philo

3DWP

• http://www.3dwp.nl
    • View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »
That's where you see the usefulness of some documentation - I forgot about the "1" smoothing and double click on smooth boundary...

As told by Magweb, different users have different usages! See for example my low-poly count tutorials, something MM was not created for initially.

I remember those tutuorials, they are great! I learned about the space bar and shaders because of those clips :-)
There's alot of info already in this thread, I really think this is a goldmine for MeshMixer users. Thanks to all contributors!

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »
Ad SelectVisible:

Did you know
that the result of SELECT/Modify/SelectVisible depends on the distance between virtual camera and the object?
This mode calculates the visible surface based on perspective (even if your current cam mode is set to orthographic).
This means that the result depends on the angle the viewing rays hit the surface. This angle changes zooming in/out.

E.g. if you are trying to find a parting line for mold making you've to zoom out to have a tiny object.

UPDATE: Since Meshmixer 2.9.2 SelectVisible works fine in orthographic view mode. So switch to that mode in menu:View and expand your selection in that mode to all currently visible surfaces.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:12:41 PM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »
Ad SELECT/Deform/Transform and SELECT/Deform/SoftTransform:

Are you aware of the meaning of the SharedFrame checkbox?

This setting allows a different behavior of the operation if there is more than one "selection island".
If SharedFrame is checked, the transform widget is placed in the middle between the islands. This means all islands are rotated and scaled using this common center.
If SharedFrame is unchecked, each island gets its own center (the widget is shown at one island only). Means all selections are scaled and rotated using their individual center.
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
Meshmixer's import dialog allows to import one mesh only.

Did you know that you can add files (also multiple) simply by dragging them from an external Explorer/Finder window onto Meshmixer's scene or the start up screen?

(This hint was taken from Maker's Muse's great video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQbYGpbdrh-b2ND-AfIybg)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:25:36 PM by MagWeb »

3DWP

• View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
Just saw MagWeb's comment on one subject I also didn't know (and had trouble with): color models. I tried to open color models with MM - no color.. I found out a while ago you have to use import in MM, see also MagWeb's explanation below (from this thread by the way: http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0)

Don't use the external way "Open with" to open the .obj in Meshmixer from WIN Explorer/ MAC Finder. This way does not read the texture information.
But:
Use Import from the start up screen (or the Import button if there's already some scene) to import a textured file.
(There have to be three files within the very same directory: A .obj which points to a .mtl which again points to an image file)
If you do not see your texture now you have to switch the shader: Click SHADERS in the left sidebar and drag the "world" sphere onto your object. This should show the texture (if there's no mistake in the obj-mtl-image chain).

Check your files dimension in ANALYSIS/UnitsDimensions. A common mistake which causes that hollowing can't give some result is that the object simply is to small to allow a certain wall thickness. Set it to the desired size in UnitsDimensions.
Now go to EDIT/Hollow. Entering the tool makes it run automatically with a preset wall thickness of 2mm. The outer surface gets a ghost and you'll see the inside shell. If you want a 5mm wall drag the OffsetDistance slider to that value and hit UpdateHollow.
Now pull the HolesPerHollow slider to the desired number of holes and hit GenerateHoles. You can change the holes position by dragging the red sphere handles. Set the holes' radius with HoleRadius.
If ready - click Accept.

Do you need ASCII or Binary .ply? Meshmixer writes an ASCII file . Do you need color information as per-vertex-color or as a true texture? Meshmixer's current ply exporter seems to support per-vertex-color only.

Also see this thread:http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?topic=2429.0

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
Nice to see you added some stuff to this thread you found in the forum's deaper space. Thanks  :)
- 1. was related to problems loading textured files
- 2. was related to hollowing issues
- 3. was relared to export for full color printing issues using a textured file to get a full colored (Z-printer) print

@ SCULPT/ FlattenBrush:
Did you know that this brush pulls the surface towards an avaraged plane (between the lowest and highest points) of the current brush's position? Instead inverting it (via CTRL(WIN)/CMD(MAC)) pulls the surface away of that avaraged plane. This is what other apps call something like a "Contrast" brush. It'll give the the surface underneath more contrast (= profile) in depth.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:49:49 PM by MagWeb »

3DWP

• View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »
Another great one from MagWeb, I tried it and it works. Original thread here: http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?topic=2458.0

Hmmm...I am trying to figure out a way to align an object "as flat as it can go" to the ground plane, based on three points.  I can totally eyeball it by moving the object downwards until it pokes through the plane (if I place a solid plane on the ground plane), but then comes the slight rotating and moving...and it takes a long time.  This procedure can totally be done with one point easily (Align / Base Point)...but I want to make three points touch the ground plane.

It would work easily if I could drop a Pivot, then drop another pivot, and then "lock" both.  The model would then only rotate based on an imaginary line drawn between those two locked pivots.

Thanks for any ideas!

Some trick I used some time ago:

You might select those three tiny regions.
With them selected run Edit/FitPrimitive.
Use Square or Rectangle with SinglePrimitive checked and CreateNewObject unchecked.

Use the resulting plane to align ...

AmyInNH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 03:20:36 PM »
MM is well beyond the complexity of a hammer and chisel.
As for developer time, tech. writers. 
MeshMixer seems to be orphaned from AutoDesk process.

(being no employee at Autodesk)
"Hit the chisel with a hammer"
But instead of overloading developers (who should develop)

3DWP

• View Profile
    • 3DWP 3D printing
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 04:49:17 AM »
@ AmyInNH

? Please keep this thread on topic, tips about MeshMixer